I'm Perplexed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Lady J, Aug 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I've had my male betta for one week and he's been doing great, out exploring, resting, swimming everywhere, etc.

Yesterday I added 6 corys and 5 rummy noses (sp?). Interestingly, he's leaving all of his new tankmates alone. My concern is now my betta is only coming out a little bit and pretty much staying on one side of the tank. Are the new fish too boisterous for him? Would he prefer slower moving tankmates?

Please advise.

2. Click Here!

3. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Betta are rather strange at times, more often they prefer no tank mates as this is how they normally live their lives. I had one that designated a path through the tank that was his and once in a while another fish would move through that path and he would dart for them but never make any real contact. More than likely it will pick a location or path that It prefers and will travel it back and forth and often times it's near the front or in lower flow area's of the tank.

Corys won't bother a betta and rummy noses are nice to watch swim about but the Betta knows he's king. Give it time he'll figure out what he likes and then he will display once again. Fish just like people can be Shy when new mates are introduced, few days to even a week and he'll be peachy.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you for your response. :) I'm glad to hear this cuz otherwise they're going back to the store. If I could take a good picture I'd show one of my betta----even the people at the store were "ooohhhing and aaahhhhing" over him. He's a halfmoon, irridescant light blue and red. He's stunning. The light blue on him absolutely shimmers. I just thought that since bettas are slower swimmers maybe the frenzied behavior of the corys and rummy noses were bothering him. I have no problem with just having him in my 30g. long----kinda like a little palace for him. ;)

I was going to get espei rasboras but I just cannot find them and neither can two of my LFSs. Sooo, I bought the little rummy noses and I have to say they're pretty cute. I think I should put 3 or 4 more in just to make the school larger. Well anyway, just want to make sure my betta will be comfortable and will be out swimming and basically enjoying life!

5. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

+1 ... I have a betta on my desk at work in a 5 gallon hex and he loves it. Most customers say ... "he looks lonely" I just say he likes it ... don't need to give them the in depth discussion how betta's prefer to be only tank mates and so on. I have had them in with tetra's and other smaller fish and they tend to keep to themselves.

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Do you think he'd be more comfortable if he just had the 30g. to himself?

7. Caspian

They don't HAVE to be alone but they will often keep to themselves. So if the other fish are hugely populating a section of the tank they might take the smaller space so that they can be... alone. Basically saying they aren't likely to school or hang out with the their tank mates. But they will mind their own business and just swim about.

8. Click Here!

9. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I like the corys and the rummy noses but in a way I'm kind of sorry I added them. They're awesome little fish though and certainly make the tank more active, but I really liked seeing my betta out a lot and swimming around. Also, having just the betta in there was very peaceful. Originally I wanted him and just a few slow swimming fish but couldn't seem to find a good mix. Oh well.

10. Caspian

I love my corys I have julli, false julli, panda, and I use to have albino but they got mondo so I gave them back to my LFS.

You could try and remove the rummy nose and see how he acts as Betta are often mid to high level swimmers, so the bottom dwelling corys shouldn't be a bother to him. But that's up to you =P

11. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not even sure if my LFS would take them back although it's a nice store so the owner might. Are you aware of any slow swimmers that would do well with a betta?

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have found Bettas tend to ignore other fish when they are in a sufficiently large aquarium. He should come out and around once he acclimates to the new fish. He will most likely trail behind the cories to catch what ever they stir up.