I'm OUT!!! DONE!! (not for the faint of heart)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Strickland_673, Jun 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

My Aunt broke a glass kitchen table top by throwing a ball point pen onto the table, it hit in the most perfect way and shattered it. Call it bad luck or Murphys law - it still stinks in a huge way.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I know that there is nothing that can be said to reverse the detrimental experience that you just went through! I feel so bad for you and your livestock... What a bad experience to witness first hand, almost like a horror show.
    Having said this, hopefully, you will decide to continue with the hobby and pick yourself off the carpet and get back in the game.
    Hopefully you can get everything cleaned up efficiently with minimal time, money and energy!
    I hope everything works out for the best for you after this nightmare!
    Best of luck to you and future tank should you decide to go that route again.
    There was a popular 80's movie called "TOPGUN" starring Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis that had a scene in the movie that can fit your dilemma right now. There are two options for you as there were for Tom Cruise a.k.a. MAVERICK after his wing man died on ejection from their plane after their plane went through a flat spin. Maverick could either stop flying fighter planes and quit being a fighter pilot in the US. Navy or he could pick himself back up as it wasn't his fault, anyhow and get back up in the sky and do what he loved doing.
    The same holds true for you...you could get out of the hobby after the terrible experience you witnessed or you could take the experience and use it as a learning tool, move on and become that much better. If you enjoy the hobby as much as many of us do, hopefully you will decide to move forward in due time and set up an even bigger and better system.
    Enough said, best of luck to you!
    I am so sorry for what you just experienced!

4. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

only lossers quit and i don't think your a losser. you will be back at it in no time good luck in what ever you do.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

bad idea, nuke the rock with bleach if its used to start over with

could be the culprit

granted rock first then sand for obvious reasons, but even if a rock falls from a stack and hits the glass, the same event can happen

hope you have flood/home owners insurance, if it were me id get a bigger tank and nuke the rock. look at it this way, you got new carpeting out of the deal with a bigger tank.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

This may sound "off the wall" but to me, if you were sleeping, and you found the rock as it is, it almost looks deliberate. Did you break up with a girl friend?

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

wonder if that blue round object at the right of the cabinet was involved in some way?
    bowling ball?

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

Nope, my girlfriend was in the bed next to me the whole time. That's a hamster ball actually. It definently could have been caused by sand shifting.....(newbie beware!!).....So the death count....:
    2x yellow tailed damsels
    1x bi-color blenny
    1x Lawnmower Blenny
    1x Yellow Wrasse
    2x Cleaner Shrimp (bob and rob)
    25 hermits
    4X HUGE turbo snails
    10x Nass Snails
    some xenias
    button polyps
    a small colt (3days in tank)
    1X Aquarist's Heart......it shattered like the front panel!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Well, the Q that is on everyones mind is, Is this the end or just a new beginning? Luna

11. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

It may be a new beginning, But the start is a ways away I think?!?!
    any threads on how to nuke rocks???
    maybe I could start that!!!

Mike

1 person likes this.
  12. SJR

SJR Astrea Snail

heartbreaking!

Oh man that is heartbreaking. so sorry you have to deal with this! Please be encouraged that we all feel your pain looking at those pics. they say experience is the best teacher, even though it may not seem like it having to sort through and clean up the mess. I agree with trying to work through the pain of your loss and rebuild. Thanks for sharing, I know it hurts and as I'm writing this I'm reassessing my tank build and watching my clown swish sand everywhere:angry: Hope you can move on, it's a wonderful hobby...be an overcomer.