I'm OUT!!! DONE!! (not for the faint of heart)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Strickland_673, Jun 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

where any fish or corals in the tank?
    man im so sorry that is unimaginable for me

2. Click Here!

3. cfrog

cfrog Plankton

Sympathies extended.

4. asking4trouble

asking4trouble Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thats intense dude! Sure it wasn't a mantis shrimp? cause that would make for one cool story :)

5. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

it would have to be like the size of your foot.. ;)

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

My thoughts exactly. Not to take anything away from the tragedy or sound like an *ss, but to all new comers: this is why you stack rock BEFORE laying your sand. It's evident by the pictures that the rocks were placed on top of the sand. I know you said that they were stacked really good, but no level of secure stacking will prevent collapse due to under rock burrowing, which is most likely what happened. Even an innocent, single nassarius snail can cause something like this.
    Another interesting note is the glass itself. I know everyone says it's just not like this, but that front panel was tempered. Look how it literally completely shattered instead of just splittling.
    I am so sorry. do what you have to do, and do everything you can to stay in the game. This is what I hate with the hobby. Like I say to my friends: call me on any given day of the week, and this is either the most stressful or relaxing hobby ever!

7. asking4trouble

asking4trouble Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Good thinking, that would be even cooler... ;)

(PS: original poster, jokes aside, really i feel bad for you bro)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Not really. A adult Peacock mantis holds the same amount of energy in its smashers as a 9mm luger round, and can easily shatter the glass of even very large tanks if it misses ;)
    Just rarely happens is all ;)

10. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

OMG!!!!! dude so sorry. I guess that is a fear we all have in the back of our minds...

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I am very sorry to hear.

At first I was thinking shrimp, I heard of it before. BUt I went back to your thread "Strickland_673 55 Gallon Tank Thread!!!!!! " it does look as if the rock was sitting on several inches of sand which is more then likely the cause.

This sucks and shouldn't happen to anyone, you lost a lot of hard work and money - tank and house items. If you care to go at it again I'd be willing to donate a few corals your way.

1 person likes this.
  12. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

Man that sucks so bad. Sorry man. I have seen a rock fall in my tank twice and it hit the front glass. I don't see how that can break the glass. It was like watching slow motion. I have thick glass though. Anyway, I hope you don't leave the hobby. Maybe try an acrylic tank next time?