IM Nuvo 40 build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by ccardini, Aug 5, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

So I've decided to set up a second aquarium. I've settled on the Nuvo 40g because I would like to try a cube shape and the convenience of another AIO setup. I already have a nuvo 16g. I want to try something different with the aquascape. I saw somewhere online where a store had a levitation rock island with a clear sandbed underneath. I am going to try to emulate this idea. I still haven't figured out how they did it but I have a few ideas to try.

Idea 1. Glue frag racks to the back of tank and put rocks on top of these. Not sure frag racks can handle the weight but the idea of holes in the bottom of the structure sounds good because detritus wouldn't build up underneath the rockwork.

Idea 2. Have some sort of acrylic stand built and then glue it to the tank. Maybe a bookend type piece, but shaped like a C. The bottom would be covered with sand, the back would be glued to the black back of the tank so unnoticeable, and the top would jut out and allow for rockwork to be built on.

Idea 3. Eggcrate. This is my last resort. I'd have to get clear acrylic rods to stand straight up to support the eggcrate. From afar it would appear to be levitating but I feat after a while coralline would build on these support rods and ruin the illusion. Plus the sandbed wouldn't be clear and unobstructed.

I don't want to use magnets because I don't trust their strength to be able to hold a rock formation. They also would have to be attached to the back which means they'd be underwater in the sump section and I don't want to risk them tampering with the water. Any ideas? Anybody try this before? I have already purchased some zip ties, fiberglass driveway markers, super glue, etc for connecting the rocks together.

I should be getting the tank sometime this weekend or early next week. I have someone lined up to build a stand for me so I can avoid the particle board stand that Innovative Marine makes to match.

This is my first tank build thread so hopefully all goes to plan! I will get some pics up of the tank and equipment when I get my hands on it in a few days.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have seen the tank your talking about, he used acrylic rods to elevate the formation, it's an awesome tank, really one of a kind. I will try and find the tank I am thinking about.

The magnet method would make me nervous.

The Nuvo 40 looks a like a very nice tank and a great size.

Lighting and flow plans yet?

Piano10 likes this.
  4. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

I have attached an image of the tank I'm aiming for. I don't think they used rods from the sand but I could be wrong. If you have a pic of another I'd love to see it.

As for flow I have an mp40 and mp10 lying around. I'll probably use the mp40 with the stock pump if the stock is quiet enough. I'm not overly concerned about the return pump power with the mp40. I'm more concerned about noise as it will be in the living area. For light I have an extra AI Hydra from an older tank. I have thought about getting a radion xr15w pro now that they have been reduced but having a hydra for free is hard to pass up. We will see. Thanks for the interest!

Attached Files:

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yup that is the one. I thought I read that the acrylic stand is in the sand bed? No. There is a build thread somewhere I think it was RC, but honestly I do not remember.

Sounds like your set up. Definitely the MP40 if your going sps right? I hear ya on the already having the Hydra, it would be a fantasy tank though if you could go Radion Gen 3 though.

6. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

I do want to get into radions but I know nothing about setting them up or controllers or what so I'll probably stick with what I'm used to at first at least. I'm actually more interested in some nice zoa gardens than sps, though there will be some pieces.
    Assuming all goes as planned, should be picking the tank up from Premium Aquatics tomorrow. Then it's on to gathering equipment and building the rock formation while waiting on the stand.

7. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

Alright. After three separate orders from BRS, Premium Aquatics and inTank (and a short cry in remembrance of my wallet) the waiting game is officially on!

I decided to stick with the Hydra (for now) but did have to order the Director. Anyone have experience with this controlling lights over two separate tanks? I have the handheld controller for my current tank but figured I might as well put that on the director as well when it comes in. I'm sure I will have questions once I play with it. Hope it works.

I will get pics of the tank up as soon as it is in my possession.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

sounds like you're on your way! Looking forward to seeing your tank(s) progress :)

10. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

11. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

So after some further research I found out the aquascape idea I was trying to mimic would not be possible in this tank. :( The glass would have to be reinforced to handle the pressure of rocks pulling down on it. So on to plan B.

I cut a sheet of eggcrate and am aiming to cover it in something that mimics hard sea floor. I have used quikrete cement on a previous tank but that was years ago before I even thought about it leeching anything into the tank. Am I overthinking this? I haven't seen this idea used so I am kind of excited to have a unique tank, but unfortunately this means the trail and error all lies on myself. I don't want to use rock rubble as I want to avoid detritus falling between the cracks so I'd like one solid piece. Another idea is the mortar from Marco rocks. The only issue there is I'm not sure it would bond to plastic egg crate. Any ideas of input would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the eggcrate design so far. I still may change it up but this is the basic idea. Try to imagine it covered in hard sea floor and the rest of the tank with sand.

12. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm