I'm messing with the site

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

FYI -

I am seriously messing around with caching on the site today - that includes javascript, images, code, you name it.

Things appear to be working and I've seen some scary improvements on 3reef mobile and on the desktop.

So far the 3reef background is loading last, which is annoying me. I'm going to let it ride and try again in a bit.

But - if something isn't working please point it out.

Thanks for your patience.

PS - Last night, I updated over 3000 post videos to display correctly in the new format.

matt

2. Click Here!

3. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Where did the directions go to put it on iPhone?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

thank you Matt! I know you've spent a ton of time on getting this site up and running smoothly. It is very much appreciated!

Matt Rogers likes this.
  6. Stovebolt-V8

Stovebolt-V8 Feather Duster

Matt, Your the man!! This site would not exist without you!!!! :)

Matt Rogers likes this.
  7. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

Hey Matt, just wanted to put my 2 cents in about mobile access on android. I can't say for sure that it is the site and not my phone but it is slightly aggravating to use sometimes. I can't put my finger on it but it feels laggy. Like when you click a link nothing happens. Then if I scroll, it acts like I clicked something else and brings me to a page I did not intend to go to. I thought it could be my phone that was the issue as I don't have any problems on my pc but it acts the same way on my android tablet as well.

The phone is a Samsung galaxy nexus running the latest version of chrome browser.

Tablet is a galaxy tab 10.1 also on chrome

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the feedback OP. I have been using mobile a lot so I know what to polish - I have experienced similar situations sometimes - for instance I think the top 15 threads on the forum index requires 2 clicks for some reason. It's on my list to check out. Then there is the to top button on iphone that gets pushed around by the tab bar. I imagine there are some things with Android as well. I will have to borrow one and check it out. I will also follow up with you. Give me a some time and I will address all. Also be sure to see if it is any different since I began caching more of the site today.

Anyway, if you have any issues with the caching, please post on this thread.

@Stovebolt-V8 & @oldfishkeeper - thanks! I'll keep at it.

matt

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I turned javascript and image compression off just now. Oddly, that slowed things down.

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Yes, BIG thank you to you Matt. A friend of mine runs a surf forum over here and its not even a quarter the size of 3reef and I hear his rants all the time about the work it takes to keep the forum running. Virtual cold beer for you!

Matt Rogers likes this.
  12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora