IE6 - Do you have it? Can you help debug?

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Our wonderful amcarrig is locked out of 3reef at work with IE6 due some nasty coding bug here...

Do you have IE6 installed? Can you confirm issue?

Are you a Web designer that can help track this down?
    (maybe via firebug?)
    SOmeone else reported this last week I believe...

There is a lot of CSS voodoo going on here so I am not too surprised to hear this. I will certainly track it down soon.. however, today is a traveling day so I can't get on this until tonight. :p

Thanks in advance,

matt

2. Click Here!

3. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Yes, I reported last week that 3Reef.com will not open past the navigation bar when running IE6...(some times not even past the header advertisement)...thus I can only use Firefox (which is what I'm using right now) or the BB...

When IE locks up (Not Responding), my only way out is to "end task"...

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd have to build a xp machine with ie6 on it to test would take me a couple of days to even get to it, just pulled my esx server down to move to another data center too so I cant even just fire up a vm till next week when the new contract for it starts

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

:p
    Thanks for info.

6. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

As a note, I suspected that the Flash/Shockware version/functionality is where the issue is originating from.

When I shifted to Firefox, I was prompted to update the flash driver for FF. Yet, IE6 has not prompted me to update, and running the update to Flash 10 for IE6 fails with a similar lock up as I experience when attempting to access 3Reef with IE6.

The Flash 10 driver set is listed to work with IE6 on WinXP platforms...

Just a thought, or a bad rabbit hole...

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks... there may be something there... although I think the original observation you posted has to do with the CSS box model and margins and how they are handled by IE6 for what that is worth - I suspect the layout without IE6 margin adjustments, breaks as you and amcarrig describes. I will handle tonight.

8. Click Here!

9. bluewhite4

bluewhite4 Astrea Snail

Matt,
    I run a Windows XP-no-updates virtual for work, so I checked out the site on that. I don't have flash installed on that system at all, and other then an error about the missing flash pluggin in the info bar, the site loaded and works for me.

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Afternoon update....

I have un-installed both the flash & shockwave drivers, using the control pannel add/remove apps.... and now I can access 3Reef.com via IE6....which is how I'm making this post....

There is a "place holder icon" where the 3Reef logo should be...

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

THat is interesting. Thank you.
    I will do some testing tonight and make changes accordingly.
    The flash logo will go away with new header I am rolling out asap until a new one can be built. So that may solve that. And the new one will not roll out until IE6 has been tested with it. ;)

EDIT -

Thanks for this too.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

With IE8 out of Beta, why not just install that?