Identifying This!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by dx7fd2, Aug 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Can anyone in their infinite wisdom tell me what these tube looking things are...there was one then 2, then 3, now 6..this is in a new refugium..

Drew

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Sticks in the sand :) Do they move about, like wiggle? Can you get a better macro shot?

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

That is about as good a shot I can get right now , and yes they wiggle and move about into different positions. Now there are 7. I think I can see some sort of transparent being moving in the opening of some of the tubes. I'm mostly just curious, some type of tubeworm perhaps?

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yah, but with out a better shot, I can't tell you which ones. Can you see two little clear tentacle at one end of them?

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Right now the display tank is empty and about a foot behind my head so until I move it into position (this week) I have to do a pretzel impression just to look at the things. I think I did see 2 tentacles and a very small black spot. This 'fuge has been running about 10 days now and I am just starting to getting an ammonia reading. I will try to zoom in with the macro, my tripod won't go that low and my hands are not too steady when I am in an inverted pike with a triple twisted backbone....oh yeah that's Olympics... thanks for any info you come up with!

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Here is a better macro, I will try to get one with one of them doing some sort of movement...they seem to prefer the early evening and morning...they like to stack on top of each other!

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Are those encrusted fine sand particles that make up the "shell"? I've have worms that built its own sand tube.

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I think they are building these tubes from whatever calcium is in the water column because there were not any tubes in the aragonite I used as substrate and these just started appearing. To me it is very cool because this is my first experience with this type of thing. All in all probably very insignificant, yet I am drawn towards watching them!!

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

It sounds all god to me. Keep watchin' and havin' fun!