Ideas for determining exact water volume

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by artrichter001, Nov 3, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Hi All,

For some time I have been curious about how much water my tank actually holds.

Sure, I know it's a 38 gallon tank, but with all the Rock and sand I have in it, I no longer have an idea of the volume of water I currently have.

I have even thought of completely emptying it to measure the volume, but for obvious reasons I have preferred to not go down that road.

Not that it's vital, but it would be nice to know what percentage of water I'm changing every time I do a WC.

Has anyone thought how to achieve this?

Best

2. Click Here!

3. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

I just answered myself, nevermind. Hehe.

Thanks

Sataly likes this.
  4. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If you knew the weight of the tank, substrate, and rock that you added, you could subtract that from the total weight of the entire assembly and then you'd have the weight of the water. Since you know the specific gravity of your water, you could easily calculate the weight per gallon and use that to get a pretty accurate measurement. The problem there is that you probably don't want to move your tank to weigh it. So scratch that idea.