Ideas for a refugium for a 28g nano cube?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by TheSurgeonSween, Jan 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

HI, I was thinking about building a fuge for my 28g nano cube. I was at the LFS today and I saw a nano cube identical to mine. In the filter in the back there was chaeto in the 3 stage filter. He also had a nano glo light connected to it. In it there were brine shrimps crawling around too. Is this the best way to make one for my tank? Or would an in tank be better?

Im open to all suggestions and anything would help me alot.

Thank you;D

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

With the JBJ 28 gal, I like the chaeto with supplemental light in the chambers in back on a reverse lighting cycle if possible. No rubble though, when I did it, it collected too much detritus. A mechanical sponges helps with that problem.

4. TheSurgeonSween

I would like to feed my fish with brine shrimp too. Is there a way to produce brine shrimp with this idea?

5. TheSurgeonSween

6. Corailline

Live brine is a pain to raise and keep. If it were great nutritially that would be a different story, but it is not. Introduction of some pods to the tank and the area where the chaeto is a better choice IMO.

Just moving the chaeto from the display to the sump and back and forth will spread the pods.

7. TheSurgeonSween

My fire goby wont eat fish flakes that much. He eats very little. Will the copepods help with this eating problem?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

So this is a firefish?

They are shy yes, they do just "dart" out and grab and run. Usually as they get older they eat more in front of you, especially if they are somewhat new. I would try some frozen like Rod's Food or some cyclops and or mysis.

10. TheSurgeonSween

Alright. one last thing. If I do this refugium in the filter, should I still rinse out my carbon sponge every couple weeks?

11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i myself dont use carbon; i just use some chaeto, but then again i only have a 10 gallon with a small HOB refugium. When I get my CUC they should take care of most detritus

12. Corailline

Change out the carbon about once every 2 months. Try some chempure elite next time you change it out.

I used to run chaeto on top, mechanical sponge below and charcoal below that. Not running chaeto, but I have tons of pods, and mini brittles back there.