Ideas for a 55 gallon aqua terrarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by SwimsWithFish, Feb 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

So in a few months I'll be setting up a 55 gallon aqua terrarium. I'll be using the tetrafauna viquarium for biological filtration land space. I'm trying to get some ideas for amphibious life. I was thinking maybe mudskippers? Are there any newts, salamanders or frogs that would do well in a 1/3 land 2/3 water environment? It will be a rainforest set up with a spray bar. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

poison dart frogs. I love mine But you would have to keep the water shallow.

4. SwimsWithFish

Ehh yeah the water will have to be about 10" deep for the fish.

5. SwimsWithFish

I'm thinking maybe a fire belly toad and a couple fire belly salamanders.

6. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Fire belly toad sounds good. It would be really interesting if you had bichirs and left land for them to walk on- they're supposed to be able to but I've never seen one do it anywhere.

7. SwimsWithFish

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

10. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

pretty much any salamander or newt will do perfectly fine in a setup like that, no poison dart frogs they would wreak havoc for tankmates and most likely drown in the water. and you dont want to spend 60 bucks on one just to have it die most likely. you will have to do maintenance routinely to avoid the tank from getting all gross. with a half water half land setup mold and fungus can take over a tank very quickly. you could also look into a sort of arboreal lizard, maybe a tokay or flying gecko. i would not do a chameleon they would be too slow if they ever fell into the water and would drown. you could also do a few anoles they would be your best bet. and as far as i know mudskippers prefer a brackish enviornment, with brackish that would outlaw all amphibious life. as they cannot live in salt water. also brackish water would not allow you to have any plants in the tank unless they were mangroves.

i think the best setup would be a freshwater setup with a couple dwarf puffers or guppys, and some lush tropical plants in the tank. maybe hanging some over the water to look cool. put in a couple small fire bellied newts or something along with a couple anoles or a tokay.

11. SwimsWithFish

Thanks! I think I'll go with two green anoles, lots of plants, and a school of neon tetras with 4 Khuli loaches. This is going to be sweet!

If I wanted to, would there be any turtles that would do well?

12. SwimsWithFish

The reason I can't do the newts is because they aren't tropical animals, and I want this to be a rainforest;)