Resolved ID This, unknown maybe flatworm?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by dent, Sep 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dent

dent Plankton

This is as close up as I can get with my camera. These guys are very very small, almost horseshoe shaped, maybe a blue hint of color? If I had to guess how big, I'd say the tip of a semi dull pencil.

Recently added about 40lbs of live rock. I call it live rock but was in a friends tank a year ago, since it's been sitting in the dark in good salt water with a powerhead. Almost no signs of life on the rock. Everything seems good except I now have these things that weren't there before. He said he didn't have them before either?

Noticed them 2 days ago, since then number has probably tripled that I see on the glass.

I think flatworm but wanted to verify. Recommend Flatworm Exit? Or something else?

This is also posted on RS but thought I'd ask everyone here as well... Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Looks like a aceol flatworm probably Amphiscolops sp. They are harmless, if you are worried about them you could remove them manually by siphoning them out with some hose.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's a flatworm but it isn't the dangerous aceol flatworm. It's population will probably drop to nothing on it's own. Lots of newly set up tanks will have a population explosion of copepod-eating flatworms that stabilizes, and then crashes on it's own.

5. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    I had many of these flatworms for about a month and then their population crashed.
    Some more info on flatworms

6. dent

dent Plankton

Thanks a lot guys! I will monitor and hopefully avoid using flatworm exit.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hey dent

one method I found useful, was to syphon using airline into a decent sized jempty and sterilised pickle jar (Pickled onions in my case but thats irrelevant really)

let it settle, worms adhere to the glass, pour the water back into the tank gently
    and rinse the jam jar

thats only of the population explodes to greatly and is better than using chemicals in the tank IMO

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I would consider getting a halichoeres wrasse to control these, and any other FW's in the reef tank. IMHO, a halichoeres wrasse should be in pretty much all reef tanks for the good they do. They also eat pyramellid snails, which kill tridacna clams, so halicheores wrasses are a very good idea for any reefer.

Having one of these fish will keep you from needing to run FW exit.

10. dent

dent Plankton

Just an update. I ran flatworm exit and I don't recommend anyone doing that unless you have to. Had a couple side effects from it. Their population seemed to die off because of FX, but within 2 weeks was back at full strength.

The best I can come up with is that these particular flat worms were indeed copepod predators. They were introduced when I added a lot more live rock. After about 6 weeks their population crashed and have never came back.

1 person likes this.
  11. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks Dent. Karma to ya. ;)