ID This Crab

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Shu, Sep 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

This should work.

Hopefully pagojoe will chime in, as he is great with these ID's of tough stuff.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

hahaha Maybe I came of wrong (being myself) but look, here's why I try to be helpful. If I were in your shoes, and I posted a picture of a crab that a forum full of reefers can't ID for you, it's most likely not something you want in your tank. You have to ask yourself if you are willing to risk everything that you have in the tank for a crab that you only see at night. I would not.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shu

Shu Astrea Snail

Daniel I agree completely, I apologize for calling you a jerk. I might of interpreted wrong but oh well. Obviously if people can't ID it like you said its probably not a good idea to keep it. I do know, it does have blue legs though. What type of food should I put in there to try and catch it. If it is a fiddler they eat algea and probably wont go after your normal stuff.

5. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

Why is he so dead set on this crab being not reef safe? lol
    There is always a possibility that any one of us is wrong and there is no need to get heated over it. Instead of arguing just blatantly ignore their post. You don't have to reply its not that big of a deal. Unless you're just trying to add to your post count or whatever.
    Anyway... I'm curious as to which species of crab this is specifically so hopefully someone will come along and clear that up with and give us more than the common name. Worse case scenario toss it in the sump until you know for sure. There's my 2 cents I'm done here, moving on...

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

It went a bit off topic, I tidied some of it up, no harm done IMO
    we cant all agree all the time, if 2 people agree on everything - then we have a surplus of 1 person

I am very guilty of terminating the existance of anything in my tank that I did not purchase , and have always adopted the "if in doubt get it out" philosophy

so yes in reef tank terms , I have often thrown the baby out with the bathwater
    my overiding concern is the creatures I selected to have in there over and above any interesting/ good looking hitch hikers

Irrooo1 deleted his own post on this thread, which is a shame as it had good advice in it

Irrooo1 said " if in doubt remove it to the sump until a firm ID is established" basically if an opportunity arrives to quarantine any hitch hikers, take that opportunity IMO as if it is later IDd as a pest, you will be glad you did

Steve

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I have never met a crab that would turn down something meaty. In my experience other critters go for the food first though. I couldn't keep my shrimps away from the bait long enough for the crab to realize its there. I ended up pulling my rock and poking him out with a pen.

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Why thank you steve! I just deleted it because i noticed it had already been mentioned on a previous post.

1 person likes this.
  10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

are you talking about me??? Not once did I say that this crab is not reef safe. I haven't id'd the thing at all as reef safe. I am saying this. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT WHAT IT IS, IT HAS TO GO!. The longer the thing stays in the tank, the longer it has the potential to be a bad deal.

11. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

Have you tried to research and find out what this is or are you just basing it off of never seeing one before and never finding one in your tank. I've seen porcelin crabs with bigger claws does that mean they too will snatch up the most expensive fish in your tank, no.

Shu, do you have any more pictures of the crab yet?

12. Shu

Shu Astrea Snail

Nah not yet I will for sure take more tonight. I know what time he comes out now