ID This Crab

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Shu, Sep 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Shu

Shu Astrea Snail

Found this in my tank just recently. My tank is a year old have not added any live rock in awhile. How did this get in here and what type of crab is it?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I can say without a doubt it is not reef safe, whatever type of crab it end up being. Get it out before it eats stuff you don't want it to.

See the claws? Those are sharp, and used for killing critters.

4. Shu

Shu Astrea Snail

How do you know, I know certain ones that look like it are only algea eaters.

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, emerald and red mithrax crabs do not have their eyes on extended stalks like your crab does. Extended eye stalks are more suited to see moving food (fish, snails etc) than the short stalks that mithrax crabs have. I was a biology student in college, so I understand form vs function.

Also, the pointy claws give it away as being bad. The only 2 exceptions to pointy claws being bad are porcelain crabs and acro crabs, and even some think acro crabs eat coral flesh from time to time. Mithrax crabs have blunt ends to their claws.

Melev does not have a pic of a crab like yours but if you look at a mithrax crab, you will note the claws and eyes are very different than your crab's.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/emerald_crab.jpg

6. jim194

jim194 Astrea Snail

Believe it or not, it looks like a Red Orange crab. Seriously, we purchased a crab from our Local Fish Store that looked like yours. When we asked what the scientific name was the store manager showed us the shipping manifest and it was listed as a Red Orange crab. He said that it was reef safe. We did not notice any problems with it. However, he dissapeared after a couple of days.

7. Shu

Shu Astrea Snail

Well I will monitor it. I must of been in their awhile cause I have just noticed it. Corals are doing fine though along with fish so I am not sure.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I found this crab ID page.
    Crabs -- Gallery -- GARFISHINDO Tropical

click on the orange crab, and look at that. I certainly would not put that in my tank, unless I had a puffer and trigger FO tank.

10. Shu

Shu Astrea Snail

It does not have that big of claws and that back 2 legs are blue

11. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I would just assume it's not reef safe until you have a positive ID on it. There are far more unsafe crabs than safe crabs AFAIK and once they get in the tank some crabs are very difficult to get out if they find a home inside a rock somewhere you can't get to easily.

My 2c.

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I am with screwtape. Catch it if you can, while you can. It may not be easy, or even possible to do soon.