ID these frags!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Sataly, Apr 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

got these yesterday at a buy two get one free frag sale and I was one of the first ones there. picked these up because they caught my eyes the most.

first one is a chalice and on the outer ring is a neon green ring where you can tell when it grows, the ring will show more. Aussie chalice of some kind? watermelon perhaps.

second one is what looks like to me a dragon soul favia (oh I do hope it is! I will die!) but I've looked online at a few pictures and theirs so many different ones with the dragon soul name slapped on it thst I can't confirm it.

the I'd is an sps and that's about all I got lol. it was kinda wilting away in the frag tank so I figuren "hey why not". it's polyps are extending crazy now and it looks pretty happy with my water. just need to find a better spot for it.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. RavenSF

RavenSF Astrea Snail

I dunno if you'll be able to put a label on the favia. As you said people slap all kinds of names on these things so it's difficult to say you have dragon soul favia or not. It may look like dragon soul, but without knowing the lineage it's hard to be sure of exactly what you have. This applies to any coral, unless there is one and only one kind of coral that looks a certain way. The third one sort of looks like a purple Stylopora to me, but I can't tell with that picture.

Corailline likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

#1 looks like a Chalice, need better image. #2 Goniastrea or Favid. #3 Stylophora or Pocilliopora an sps.

You already had them figured out, just not the hip names.

Nice stuff.

For ID's go window shopping, go to Jason Foxx site, Unique corals, Vivid Aquariums.....

DSC reef likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

It's hard to figure the "names" these days. The chalice looks possibly like a green eye mycedium, the favia is not dragon soul but still from prizm favia family.

6. RavenSF

RavenSF Astrea Snail

If you're trying to make money from selling frags or to keep a rare line going, then names are important, if not just enjoy. All of the pieces you have are very nice with or without fancy names.

Sataly likes this.
  7. Sataly

Pretty much the whole reason of trying to figure out the names. I'd like to eventually start a whOle lil side thing for money. being in college and paying for loans sucks so every lil bit helps.

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. RavenSF

RavenSF Astrea Snail

I don't think you can be 100% sure of the names unless you get them from a reputable source. It's kind of like dogs. We all know it's a German shepherd, but unless it has papers to prove its lineage you can't enter it in the dog show.

10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I like the stylo
    I like knowing the names. I keep a journal of all my corals.

11. Sataly

I can confirm the favia is a yellow rimmed dragon soul! very hard to come by especially with the yellow. sent a picture to a few people and asked around and they all said the same thing.

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

#3 looks like stylophora digitata