id please,pics included

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by BluePhish, Nov 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

more and more things i find in my tank everyday its driving me mad. can you help me id these. the first pic is some small moving white piece of sand. the other is kinda blury.I thought it was a apitasia, but i noticed that it has polyps on the end of each stalk thier very small,i googled it but found nothing that looked like ither of these

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the 1st photo may be an isopod.the 2nd is a lr and coral eating feather duster that will eat all your lr and coral before the weeks end.lol just kidding.the 2nd is hydroids and their a pain in the butt to get rid of and can sting some corals.

4. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

1st one is a copepod. isopods look more like a pill bug, in fact they are related. and the second pic i can't tell to small and blurry

5. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

copepods, i googled them, yeah i agree , the isopods seem to be a larger species. copepods are good right? especially since i have a scooter blenny(dragonete). i got him 2.5 wks ago and he started off kinda skinny but seems to be plumping out lately.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

There are many different kinds of hydroids, some more detrimental then others.

I have, what looks like yours, also. Small brown "fuzzy" polyps. Have had them a long time and they are pretty benign. (at least to soft corals). Zoa's grow and thrive among them. They spread very slowly, and can easily be scraped and vacummed if they get out of hand.

Also, I have a red-legged hermit variety that likes to eat them and keep them pretty well mowed down on LR.

Have several patches growing on overflows, where they are welcome to do so.

"Beauty is in eye of beholder"

(of course, have heard some say same of aptasia :confused: - :-/)

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Dont forget hydroids can sting you as well. Hydroids are the beginning stages of Jellyfish, alot of people either dont know that or dont think of them as that.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the hydroide jellyfish i've seen look like a snow flake on the glass.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

This is the jellies I found in some of my equipment when I was cleaning, didnt notice them them until I was stung.
    [​IMG]

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

wow that is way cool lol.i've never seen them that large.sorry you got stung.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

It just hurt for a few hours, nothing major, I took all the equipment apart and hosed it off outside. Pulled all my liverock out and set it on the back patio. So I pretty much got a frag tank now, lol. My 75g consists of a few frag racks and some corals, lol.