Id on rock

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by RHorton, Aug 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I've had this live rock for a while now, other then the alge problem these things started to grow on them, there like a tube but the tip is bigger and it's fully enclosed does anybody know what these things are and if they are harmfull they don't move at all and are brittle.they are a nice flouresent green.one or two looked cool but now they are starting to pop up all over the rock.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's a macro algae whose name always manages to escape me. I would be less concerned with it than I would be with all that bubble algae you have growing on the rock.

4. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I know I've tried getting it of the rock but it keeps coming back.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrate levels. All algae need these three components to live and grow.

6. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

looks like Neomeris annulata.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Becareful of excess nutrients in the pelagic area of your tank. This is one of the main reasons for micro to flourish. Try setting up a refugium to compensate for the micro growing, by introducing macroalgae that will compete for the same food stuff/nutrients etc.

8. Click Here!

9. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I don't have room for a refuge I wish I did. I did clean the rock off best I could this green moss a bubble algae is only growing on my live rocks not on the base rocks Ive checked my levels and everything was good ammonia at 0. and the other weird thing is I have a piece of fugi finger live rock the only thing growing on that is coralline its only the three other pieces of live rock this stuff is growing on.I use ro water for top offs.not sure what else i can do to stop it.I just got over getting rid of cryno algae and slime algae that would cover the bottom of the tank, now thats finally gone thats when this stuff started growing rapidly on the rocks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  10. lynnvangsnes

lynnvangsnes Astrea Snail

IBM geek I concur. It's also known as fuzzy tipped algae, and caterpillar worm algae...harmless macroalgae. In fact, beneficial to your overall tank if you don't mind the looks of it.