Id on Damsel

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by artrichter001, Dec 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Hi Guys. I brought this little guy back from my scuba trip. Obviously, its a damsel, but haven't found one like this either in liveaquaria or marinedepot. Does anyone know which damsel this is?

[​IMG]

Also, I brought this one. Looks like a Sargeant Major, only without the yellow...

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

first one is a azure damsel or a cross between azure and a cocoa damsel, Im pretty sure the 2nd pic is not a damsel.

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the 2nd is a tiger shark.i can see the stripes

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

2nd one looks like a Sargeant Major to me too

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Second one is not a Sargeant Major as it doesn't have the same body structure or the yellow coloration on the top of the body. The stripe width is narrower than that of sargeant majors as well as the number of stripes is greater than that of Sargeant Majors. I have two sargeant majors that I have had since juvenilles and have reached mature adult status since.
    Stumped as to the kind that it is however!

7. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

For the first one, I'm not quite sure. I don't think it is a cross between azure and cocoa because all damsels in zihuatanejo are like this. Here's a pic of the three kinds (mine, azure and cocoa). Seems to have a little more of azure, but notice the round marking on the base of its tail. In mine, the marking is on the blue color, and on the azures, it is on the yellow! Also, mine is the only one with a colorless tail.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Ok, regarding the last picture of three similar damselfish, here is the id on these as far as I can see based on my research; the first and the third pictures are the same fish (Azure Damselfish- Chrysiptera hemicyanea) They both have some yellow at the base of their tail(caudal peduncle) with a clear tip of the tail. The second damselfish is called a (Sulawesi Damselfish-Chrysiptera parasema)!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Reefer, I agree with you. Thanks for the insight.