ID Coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Critifer, Jun 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Critifer

Critifer Plankton

Reef (Small).JPG

Hello fellow reefers,

Friend moved and dropped off this little coral and just need id and maybe any advice. See attached pic;D

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It almost looks like Goniopora(flowerpot coral) but I can't really get a good look!

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I agree, I have one and thats what it looks like. They're hard to keep. How long have you had it, because it's not open all the way?

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Looks like Alveopora. Needs moderate to high light. Wow, has a lot of old death. Hopefully you can nurse the guy back to health. They are pretty amazing when in good health.

6. Critifer

Critifer Plankton

I have had this coral for three weeks in my 55 gal. The previous owner had lots of problems with it and I have had only small growth. Only one head opens all the way, and when it does it is amazing. I will post my setup and chems next for advice on what is or is not working. Thanks for the reply guys!!

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would dose with iodine to start if not already. Also as rickzter mentioned, they require moderate to intense lighting for either Alveopora or Goniopora. Try moving it to another place in your tank and see what happens. Also may want to modify water movement to see if it makes it healthier.
    Yeah, let us know what you are using for supplentation etc.!
    Good luck with it!

8. Click Here!

9. Critifer

Critifer Plankton

ID Coral

I took several pictures and I agree it isn't as clear as it needs to be for proper id. I forgot to mention the setup and chems for advice on care..

55 Gallon Glass tank, Euro Reef CS80, 20 Gal Refuigum, Rio 2800 pump, JBJ 225 watt PC, Mag Drive pump forgot model but pumps 600GPH, 200 watt heater, 30 Lbs Live Rock, 20 Lbs Live Sand in refuguim, Crushed Coral shallow bed.

Livestock: Large 4" Powder Blue Tang, 4 Chromis, Pink Skunk Clown, Blenny, 10 Turbo Snails, 3 small Red Cleaner shrimp, 1 large cleaner shrimp, small Hermit crab.

Chems have been stable since April 4th at
    PH 8.0-8.4
    KH 9-10
    CA 380-440
    NH & NO 0-.25
    1.023-1.025 Salinity
    78-80 F
    I add ESV B-Ionic Alk & Calcuim twice a week and KENT PhytoPlex once a week with syringe. I do 10% water change with RO water every other week. Only once have I had to use Seachem PH buffer.

:p

10. Critifer

Critifer Plankton

Thanks Sea Dragon! I will start with the suggestions, but I got two questions. I have KENT Iodione and I would prefer to dose small amounts every day (or 8 drops per 50 gal as per directions) is that the best recommendation for starting or should I go slower on daily dosage? I also have KENT Micro Velvet and have never used it before, could that also help my situation?
    Thanks