Ickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Lucky13dt, Sep 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

My yellow tang got Ick today!! What is the best treatment? :cry:

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Soaking their food in garlic or vitamin C and may put a clip of broccoli in the tank for them to chew on. Have you been stressing him out by having your hand in the tank for any reason?

4. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

I currently use garlic. I changed over to new T5's yesterday. I think that could of caused added stress, what do you think?

Does hyposalinty work? I really do not want to use chemicals.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have never had to deal with fighting ick because I keep a balanced diet for the fish and the broccoli has helped a bunch. Good source of nutrients.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

Currently I feed brine shrimp and mysis. Every other day I feed seaweed on a clip. Today he ate both really well, but when my daylights shut off and only the actinics were one I noticed the dots.

7. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

I would quarantine the tang, and start treating with copper. Please keep in mind that tangs are "scaleless", and require smaller doses of copper to prevent from killing them. Also remeber that copper is very bad for the fish, and it must be monitored with an appropriate copper test kit. There are two types of copper that can be used (chelated and ionic). Please ensure that you are using the test kit that is appropriate with the type of copper that you are using. I have successfully treated tangs with crypt, and they are still alive and well. What other inhabitants are dwelling in the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Feeding a lot of frozen food will cause PO4 to rise in tank. I feed Spirulina algae flakes every first day and put a piece of seaweed in there on the second day and third day I feed nothing but I put a piece of broccoli in there every day for the tang to nibble on. I feed a half cube of frozen every week to week in a half.

10. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

Yellow tail Clown, Scotter Blennie, Cleaner Shrimp, several snails, hermits, several coral

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

brine and mysis in itself is not really enough nutrients unless it is supplemented with HUFA (highly unsat fatty acids) and vitamins. Somebody told me that those are really like empty calories. I feed RODS, and occasionally supplement with other foods, and add flakes and microcrabs occasionally. I also add Selco and vitamins to their food a couple times a week....they seem to be much healthier since I have been doing that.

Also add some algea sheets in for them to pick at all the time..the yellow tang will ABSOLUTELY LOVE it. Might take it a while to get hang of it...but now all my fish go after it..including my citron gobi??

Hypo I kept when I had my FOWLR tank...and it really is harder then you think...I read that unless it is really low...and I cant remember what the level is off the top of my head..I want to say 1.012.maybe lower...then it is basically useless because it can survive. Again dont quote me on that number...but it was really low and if you have a reef tank your corals and inverts will not survive plus it is stressfull on fish to do. Even more stressful to bring up again.

If your fish is eating then I would not overly worry about it...easier said then done..trust me I know! But just feed them good food and keep water quality up there and most of time they will get better.

12. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

Lucky and stupid...

What I thought was Ick was actually grains of sand, the Tang must have been playing around in it or something!!! Anyways no Ick thank fully!!

Otty: I feed them brocolli today!