ICK

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Fishez, May 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I lost my neon goby :( he helped cleaned my yellow tang all the time , im sure my tang will miss him too, but as far as the other 3 they are still looking better . somebody said its a 50/50 shot weather or not a neon goby will actualy clean a fish and it would be my luck to get another one that wont touch my fish, dont know how true that is though.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Fishez,

I'm sorry that you lost your fish :-(

I would stay away from trying to use some sort of fish or invert to fight against Ich.  Ich is a parasite and can multiply, given the right environment, faster than anything you introduce that will eat it.

IMHO the only way to rid yourself of this parasite is to break the life cycle but this will take some drastic actions on your part.

John

4. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

well I have a 15 watt UV sterilizer on the way so maybe this will help . How much UV intensity does it take to kill ICK in its free floating stage ?Mine is 90,000 µw/cm2 @ 175 gph and thats about what ill be running it at.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Fishez,

I doubt very much whether a UV unit can guarantee that you will remove/kill the Ich.

Hopefully someone else here can answer your question regarding the rating, but before you buy any ' add on' solution may I suggest that you do a bit of specific research and make a decision based on what you find.

John :)

6. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I never thought it would guarantee that I would never have to deal with ick again but I do know that UV does kill ick in its free floating stage, im just not sure at what intensity it does this. I do know it couldnt hurt the situation any. I live in a cramped 1 bedroom apartment so a seperate quarantine tank is not an option, but if you have any other suggestions on how to break the life cycle they would be apreciated.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Please don't misunderstand me, get a UV unit if you must, it wont hurt, but it probably wont help much either.

The Ich is only free floating for 12 to 18 hours.  So you will need to find a way to get all of your water to pass through the unit ( at the right rate and intensity )

John

8. Click Here!

9. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I already ordered the UV it should be here tomorrow, and if i run the sterilizer at 175GPH it should cycle my entire tank over 81 times within 14 hours so maybe it will get most of the free floaters I hope, but who knows . Ive searched the internet for 2 days trying to find out what UV intensity kills ich but I come up with nothing. Maybe the instruction book will tell.

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Sorry mate, can't help with the intensity question, but others here have much more experience with UV than I do and should be able to advise you.

In any case I hope it works out and maybe you would be so kind as to give us ICH reports into the future :)

John

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Mojo answered his question on another thread ... :D

12. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I had a prob with ick recently but was able to get rid of it without chems by putting garlic in their food .Went away in a day .now i regularly add it to thier diet.