ICK!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Midnight_Madman, Dec 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Help. My new Passer angelfish is starting to get coverd in ICK.. I did all the normal steps introducing him... now what do I do?

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

what kind of tank is it in..? If its a reef i would use No-Ich by FISH-VET INC. It takes care of it nicley and doesnt bother any inverts. If there are no inverts present then i would do the standard weekly ich dip ( dip him ina freshwater with some diluted ich meds for a few mins) if it isnt way stressed of very sever (rapid breathing...2-4 breaths a min, disorientaion, or lathargy) then two days later begin the recomended treatment of a good ich medication. Not saying it is petcos fault but the conditions they endure are pitifull (one person closing on the weekends in charge of the reptile and entire fish dept) due to severe understaffing. I would only buy stuf (when i worked there) that hadnt touched our waters yet. Hope this helps...keep us posted on its condition.

4. Midnight_Madman

Has anyone had success just letting it run its coarse?

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

It takes at least 6 weeks without a host to safely run it's course.

6. Midnight_Madman

And will they die or will they make it? I don't have any corals. Just liverock with coraline and some featherdusters... etc stuff like that.'

7. Midnight_Madman

Iv tried using the Kent Marine stuff last year. RX but I never seems to do anything. Anyone else had luck with it?

8. Click Here!

9. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

If you mean just don't do anything and let the fish handle it, that won't work. The cycle of the ick doesn't end with dying off, it starts over again. The live cycle takes about 6 weeks (from what craig said) and then the new ick is looking for a host, which will be the same fish again. And of course, there is gonna be a lot more ick there the second time. If your fish would make it this long.
    I guess there is a chance, that the fishs immune system is strong enough and that cleaner shrimp help out and all, but I don't think, that would work in a normal tank with a lot of ick.

10. Midnight_Madman

Well from what I have read, the ick is ALways in the tank.. and it never really leaves... so when you get a newer fish...it prays on it

11. Midnight_Madman

i started my doses of RX-P hopefully that will kick it! I never had much luck in the past with it though

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang