Ick, maybe...

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DrewGritz, Apr 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrewGritz

DrewGritz Flamingo Tongue

Hi guys,

I know I am already talking to a few of you already (thank you VERY MUCH) but, I think I may have a case of Ick in the tank right now… But, I am not 100% sure (I am about 90 though…)

I have a pair of clownfish that literally act like they own the tank.

They eat well, and swim normally with the exception of one act that leads me to believe they might have Ick- they bury their nose in the ground quick swim away, like scratching an itch. I thought this might be a territorial thing at first but, it seems a couple white specs are on the female clown. 2 to be exact, the most obvious is on the side fin. It looks like a grain of salt (clue #2)… Now, the other clown fish, the male has a couple of these specs too on the underbelly of his tiny body- about 3-4 max. These are the same size as the females spec but, seem to have a darker center (stage 3 in ich? About to fall off and reproduce?)

Now, these fish are breathing normal. They are eating whenever I put anything in the tank, and still function like normal fish… I did recently upgrade my lighting and when I did that, the female clown did slow down a little but, seems to be back up to par now…

I think for now I am going to try and give these fishies a boost on their immune system and also soak their food in Garlic extreme…

Another other options before yanking these guys and putting them in QT?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

a cleaner shrimp or even uv filter?

1 person likes this.
  4. DrewGritz

It's not a bad idea; however, I have a coral banded shrimp in there...

UV filter might decrease these parasites, any good brands?

5. cuttingras

Some will say No they don 't, but I am a FIRM believer that they do. You wouldn't use it all the time, just when you have an ick or velvet outbreak. PM scenario1313 and find out what kind he put on his. He just got over a bad bout of mv, wiped out most of his fish. they ones that are alive still are doing great now. Your CBS isn't picking the ick off? Mine loved the little grains, he'd clean my fish alot. But, then again, it's been a long time since my fish had ick(years). Yeah..with having a cbs, you won't be able to have any other kinds of shrimp. that is the only drawback with them.

6. DrewGritz

For awhile I saw the CBS picking off the fish but lately... no... haha, maybe he is missing those spots :)

7. cuttingras

maybe it's time you had a little talk with him;) tell him to step up :lol: yeah I'd say uv. Like I said pm Scenario1313. :)

8. Click Here!

9. DrewGritz

I just did :)

The CBS is actually pretty peaceful since I first put him in the tank... What a character!

1 person likes this.
  10. cuttingras

they are very cool shrimps! have you ever seen yours molt? scary the first time I saw it, but he looked like he was enjoying it.

11. DrewGritz

I have had him for 2 month and he has molted twice already...

He is biggggggg now 8)

12. cuttingras

they will molt(from my observations) when something is irritating them. the first one was probably just getting used to your tank, the second was probably from growing. When I took mine back to the lfs, they guy said WOW he's huge. His antennae spread was about 7 1/2" Big ole claws! I miss that little guy :) He lost a claw about 1 month before I took him back and it was growing back, just kinda shorter than the other side. kinda funny looking.