Ick Help!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by paulie66, Nov 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

How do I get rid of this stuff. I tried moving the infected fish to a separate tank and now all my fish have it. Ive lost two already. Ive tried using one of those salt water ick tratments but it oviously isnt working. I have also been using garlic oil in their food with no sucess. So my question is were do I go from here. It looks like im going to loose my last two fish but will the ick also infect my cleaner shrimp and my live rock? Should I replace the water and the sand?(Tank has been set up for about 9 months) How long should I wait before adding new fish? :confused: I'm still new to salt water. I had a fresh water tank for 12 years that never had any problems.
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

do you have a quarintine? i set one up for $30 and it is the best investment i made. If im correct, the cleaer shrimp should eat the ich? so in theory it should help other fish (its a crustacean, (parasites cant get through its "shell") what kind of medicine are you using? i used kordon organic and it is the bomb, plus its safe to use in a reef or with inverts. but for future reference, try to get a quarintine. It can be a 10gal with a cheapo heater, and you just put the older water in there from the water changes from your main tank.

4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hello chap! Good luck, this is what I've found and was advised to do in case of problems (by my LFS):

Treatment Recommendations
    Although copper is very effective on Oodinium, and it works well to eliminate crypto organisms in their free-swimming tomite stage, it is not as effective on the Cryptocaryon trophonts that burrow deeply into the tissues of fish. A combination of freshwater and formalin treatments adminstered by means of dips, baths, and prolonged treatment over a period of time in a QT is recommended.
    Preventing Reinfestation
    Reinfection will occur no matter how effectively the fish have been treated if Cryptocaryon is not eradicated from the main aquarium, which can be accomplished by keeping the tank devoid of any fish for at least 4 weeks. For fish-only aquariums hyposalinity can be applied, and to speed up the life cycle of the organisms, elevate the tank temperature to 85 degrees for 10 days to 12 days. For treating reef tanks, Ruby Reef Kick-Ich, and Chem-Marin Stop Parasites are Cryptocaryon specific remedies that are said to be "reef safe". Several days prior to returning fish to the main aquarium, clean all filtering equipment, change any filtering materials, and do a water change.
    • ~ Debbie & Stan Hauter

This is taken from the web, however may help...! Good luck! :-/

5. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

I agree with camilsky...good info!!

6. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to start the Formalin treatments in the morning.