Ick cycle and hypo

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by pavelow360, Oct 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pavelow360

pavelow360 Feather Duster

I have some fish in hypo salinity treatment, they have been there for about 3 days and the ick has not disappeared. I assume the parasite is in it's adult stage and feeding off my fish at this point. It has been a long time since I have read up on this but does anyone recommend a formulin dip or should I just let the the ICK go through it's course and hope the fish survive until the ICK is vulnerable to the hypo?

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Why not throw a cleaner shrimp in with them? I prefer the natural way whenever possible.

4. guidedbyechoes

guidedbyechoes Spaghetti Worm

I have a cleaner shrimp and the fish won't let the shrimp near it despite its best efforts.

5. pavelow360

I had one before, it died or became lunch a month ago or so...the ick was recurring and he might have been keeping the ick at bay, but who knows... anyway, the ick is far more progressed than trying to get a cleaner shrimp and hoping it will clean all the fish...I guess I will do a form dip tomorrow once i get the bath up to temp...just need the fish to hang on through the adult cycle

6. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

7. pavelow360

disaster struck

Well, I came home today to see my fish dead and dying...I had done a water change the other day and used stabilize to control ammonia. I don't know what happened. I also had added a little melafix to help prevent infection. The ICK had pretty much cleared a day or two prior, so I thought things were going well. I followed this same regimen not long ago with the same fish in the same tank, minus the melafix. The last time, the ICK was not so far advanced though. I suspect ammonia poisoning. Does anyone know if water conditioners become less effective or non effective over time? That is all I can figure that happened. sigh...

8. Click Here!

9. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

When I did my hypo, I used no chemicals at all, as I read they react different in the low salinity. Within 2 days all spots were gone, so kept them in the hypo for 4 weeks, with a 75% water change everyday (lots of rodi water)
    then hospital tank for 5 weeks. Learned a very valuable lesson on quarantine through that process, now nothing enters my tank without 4-6 weeks in quarantine.

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Very sorry for your loss :( Sad I couldn't have been more help.

11. pavelow360

If anyone can answer my question below, I would appreciate it. thanks

Does anyone know if water conditioners become less effective or non effective over time?

12. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

No, using Hypo will not become less effective over time. Your fish may have had its gills to far gone by the Ich before you were able to get rid of it.