ICH...Ughhh

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by BaxterS80, Mar 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

OK, since you treated your main tank, you're going to have to ditch whatever sand and rock you've left in there because they have absorbed some of the copper and will leach back into your system (killing your inverts in the process). If the Aquapod has any silicone seals on it, they too will have absorbed some of the copper. Before you re-introduce your fish and rock, you'll have to run a product like Cuprisorb to remove all of the copper from the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

P.S. Your rock and sand should be fine in the bucket but I would add a powerhead and a heater to the bucket as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Thank you, Amcarrig...You and Roger are always such a big help. Yeah, I figured I would pull the remaining rock and sand from the tank once the treatment is complete..I have a powerhead running in the bucket, I will add a heater as well...Again, tank you...8)

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Happy to help. Now tell me, does the Aquapod have any silicone seams or anything like that in it?

Oh, and careful with the heater. You might want to set it low and put a thermometer in there. Aquarium heaters will heat up a small space (like a bucket) alot faster than it will heat up a larger space (like your tank).

6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Just a thought... like said above healthy fish will fight off ick. Garlic will help boost the immune system. When a fish is highly stressed it is much more vulnerable to ick, and is more likely to die from it, right? Wouldn't removing a bunch of rock and sand be one of the most stressfull things you could do to a fish, therefore making the ick situation worse? Wouldn't the best thing to do be to treat the fish with garlic, and monitor the situation closely... using a QT as the "best last resort?"

7. BaxterS80

Thank you again,Amcarrig...Yep, i did put a heater in there during the winter months, i have a digital thermometer. We use them in all of our tanks. I am sure I will not need it during the summer...8)

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

Bmshehan, thank you for your input. I agree one-hundred percent. I have been using garlic as I do anyway with all of our tanks. I have been monitoring the situation for two weeks, and the situation got worse. Probably my favorite fish of all of our tanks had was getting worse so I felt that taking more drastic action was warranted. Fortunately this was a nano tank and not our main DT so I only had to take out two pieces of rock and 15 lbs of sand. This is our first outbreak of MI although I am quite learned in the FW world with ich...It is amazing how much stress this causes compared to any situation in one of our FW tanks..

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Keep us posted!! Hopefully everything turns out OK, I'm not schooled enough to say anything about a nano, so hopefully you made the right choice!;D Definitely let us know so we all can learn a lesson either way!