ICH treatment

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Rulu25, Apr 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

I just wanted to share theory about treating ICH that my buddy told me about that seemed to work with my Kole tang last week. He suggested slowly turning the heat up to 86 degrees for three to four days b/c the bacteria can't survive high temps. I was skeptical at first but decided to try it since he's been at this hobby for about ten years now n seems to know his stuff, as well as trying this method himself. Well after about two days the Kole had fewer white spots on him and was much more active. Then Saturday night when my girlfriend n I were watching everything my cleaner shrimp and even peppermint were all over him cleaning him off. My Kole was very reserved at first and I assume it was the ICH but since then he's been all over the place just like I wanted him to be at the start.

Unfortunately my clown fish appear to have it too so I'm gonna give it another go and hopefully have the same out come.

Sent from my Tundabolt using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Remember Ich is a parasite, not a bacteria. High temp maybe a cure but feeding garlic and, believe it or not, vitamin c in their foods also helps. Glad your kole tang got better.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

By raising the temperature of the tank you are only speeding up the life cycle of the parasite, it falls off the fish quicker and into the substrate to complete it's life cycle in roughly 21-60 days.

I have been at this for over 2 decades closer to 3 and I can tell you without a doubt that raising the temperature will not kill the parasite, this I promise. It may be somewhat effective in FW but Marine Ich is a whole different ball game.

You are only seeing the natural life cycle where the parasite is no longer visible on the fish and has fall off to the substrate. The fish is still infected but to a lesser degree.

Cleaner shrimp may relieve some of the symptomps but do not eat the parasite. Cleaner shrimp have been introduced to a system with ich removed and examined for the parasite within their gut and none have been found.

Again with the silly link, but it bares repeating. I am glad your fish is better but it's just not symptomatic and stress will cause the symptoms to reappear.

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

5. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

Oh poo. I thought all was solved. I did get garlic to soak my food in on Saturday as well so I'm hoping the little buggers will get through, I love my clowns.

1 person likes this.
  6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Just curious are you sure its ich and not a fungus because I have seen it look like icy and it wasn't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

This is the first time I've experienced what seems to be ICH. My Kole tang was hard to see as he was shy but his fins had a lot of white spots when the did come out. My girlfriend called me a little while a ago and said my clown fish are covered in white spots. I have black clowns so I'm thinking it's pretty visible and they're always out.

How can tell the difference between ICH n a fungus?

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Raising temp can kill some coral and compromise others, a bad move.
    Get This, I use it and it works;
    http://www.fishsupply.com/supplies-m...arine-max.html

10. Rulu25

Rulu25 Spaghetti Worm

The clowns were scratching the other day before my girlfriend noticed spots but it seemed more like their little dance they do when they're ready for business time. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts...

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Fungus will be more of a blotch or fuzzy looking. Not as detailed as white dots. IMHO.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you have not seen this link it gives image comparison and well as a wealth of information.

Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

If you have a tang, and the clowns are now symptomatic I would think MI. As they say in medicine " If you hear the sound of huffs think horse not zebra". MI is the most logical explanation considering the symptoms and types of fish affected.