ich solutions?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by an5r3w, Apr 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. an5r3w

an5r3w Astrea Snail

okay. so my yellow tangs had black ich. and since i had a coral tank, i couldnt medicate so i moved all my fish to qt tank. the fish are now fine and healthy, but on the other hand, how do i clear the tank of ich, there are corals. so i cant lower salt and stuff.

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

My understanding of ICH is that it is always in your tank and you do not get rid of it. When you fish get stressed (due to water parameter changes, bullying, etc) they become suseptible to getting a case of ich. So if you treat the fish, and the underlying cause of the stress, you should be okay to put the fish back in the tank.

I would check the water parameters in your tank...make sure all are in line, and then slowly move the fish back in.

My want a second opinion on this as well...I could be wrong..but I think my understanding is correct.

4. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Salt water ICH is a parasite that can have no symptoms. Once its eliminated its gone for good. Many spread the myth that its always present because it will disappear and reappear again later.

The ICH parasite will die off in about six weeks without any fish to eat. You've already have moved in the right direction regarding your QT, now the next step is to transfer any other fish (just fish, as ICH will not harm inverts or coral) you may have into the QT as well. A treatment of Hyposalinity will kill the ich parasite while its in its free floating stage and looking for a new host. If you have all of your fish in the QT and killing them off in that way, you managed to accomplish two things. First no more ICH for the fish, and second any ICH parasites in the DT will die of starvation. Hence ICH wil be eliminated completely.

-G

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.