Ich Resistant Fish

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by lpd154, Mar 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lpd154

lpd154 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Is there a list of ich resistant fish and if so where can I find this information? I currently only have two false perculas in my DT and one lawnmower in my QT. I would love to add a few more fish but I would like to take my chances with fish that would be considered my disease resistant, just to increase my chances of sucess in the long run. I quarantine all fish but even so I had an ich breakout last October and lost several fish in the process. So since I have taken my time in adding new fish I want to use just a much care in getting the right fish for my experience level.

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Tell us more about your setup,tank size,age of system,reef or fish only ect. Type of filtration and water parameters if you can.

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

As far as I've heard dragonetts are the only fish considered to be "ich resistant". They have a thicker slime coat than most other fish. There some fish which are considered tougher than others and there are some that come down with ich much easier than others. Tangs are the most likely as far as I know to come down with ich due to stress. Most fish in the damsel family are generally pretty tough when it comes to fighting disease.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

green spotted puffers are ich resistant

6. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I don't believe there are ich resistant fish, but ones that are much less likely to harbor or show signs of harboring this parasite, in my experience the following:

Gobies
    Six line wrasse
    Dragonets

I have seen a sixline with ich, but it didn't slow him down much, and seemed to get rid of it really quickly.

In my current tank, I have not had problems with ich. I have not quarantined or even done a FW dip. I have gotten fish that didn't show signs of ich and kept my fingers crossed. After having most of them for well over a few months, so far so good.

In my experience in the past, I lost fish that I quarantined and medicated and FW dipped, so I made a concious effort this time around to pick healthy specimens and put them directly into the tank. Oh. And no tangs this time. ;)

Of course, as always, YMMV.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Royal grammas are pretty much resistant to anything, including ich.

8. Click Here!

9. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

lost a royal gramma to ich, actually i think it was the one that brought it in.

i had a pretty bad ich battle. my melanurous and yellow wrasse both made it. lost........ (not all were in the tank at the same time maybe over a year)
    maroon clown, three stripe, yellow tang, sleeper goby, gramma.

it wasnt till i just let the tank sit for 2 months with just the melanurous and the yellow, that i think i "beat" it.