Ich & QT

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by tmkx3, Apr 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tmkx3

tmkx3 Plankton

I have a tang that has ick. I guess I am gonna go hypo. I have a 55g I can use but It isn't set-up yet. I have an hob on the main but It has only been there a month. I am concerned about water qualty in the qt due to no biological filter. I have also read about ph problems during hypo. Is this because of ammonia spikes? I am considering doing the treatment in the main and removing the inverts and lr. My tank is 125g will the larger size help with water quality or will due to all the water changes the 55g be a better choice. I also have 2 perculas,3chromis,a coralbeauty and foxface.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would just do a water change daily. I have also used amolock in a QT with good results.

I would get another HOB filter, But usually you just don't have time to build up a good filter in a QT tank. Just run floss and carbon if your treatment lets you. You will just have to monitor by water change.

J

4. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm going through the same thing with my coral beauty angel at the moment. I bought a couple true perculas from a LFS that I swore I'd never buy from but the regular place I like hasn't had true perculas in weeks. So after they were in the shop for a week I bought a pair and foolishly added them directly into my show tank (90 gal , 4 hermits, 1 coarl beauty angel). They must have been hosting some ICK, im assuming. The coral beauty certainly wasnt distressed with the newfound tankmates. they were swimming with eachother in minutes and continued on for the remainder of the angels duration in my display tank. So i came home from work a few days ago and saw the tell tale spots on my angelfish, SIGH ! :-[ Who knows were it came from I guess.

In the past I have used the freshwater dip with no success and eventually lost fish because of it. I haven't tried hyposalinity, curious to see how your results are. I'm currently trying a copper treatment called Cupramine and it seems to be doing very well, the ick is mostly cleard up already (i count 3 spots on it now) but I isolated the angelfish in the QT early on.

I just notices a white stringy feces about 1/2 long hanging from on the the perculas in my main tank. I hope he(smaller one) doesnt have a parasitic problem too ::)

Anyways, keep us informed I'm certainly curious for your results, best of luck!