Ich outbreak, Hypo started

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by fhabercrombie, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fhabercrombie

fhabercrombie Fire Shrimp

So Ich hit my DT, I am assuming it was brought on by my Sohal Tang, that since I have recently traded for my Achillies. So I have started Hypo (SG 1.009). It is day three, I have returned the marine betta and my clowns, it was just too much for my QT tank to handle.

I have a few questions, I read on this forum that people use baking soda to raise PH, instead of marine buffer? If anyone can explain why this is to me, I would appreciate it. My PH is pretty consistant, although its low 8.0 because I am not running lights on the QT, it gets light from a window, indirect light so I havent really had PH swings. Should I get it up or leave it where it currently is?

All the fish seem to be doing ok so far, and even the achillies is starting to eat Nori which is a good sign.

I am having to do water changes two times a day, because the tank was not cycled before I started Hypo. If there is anyone that has run Hypo with an uncycled tank, I would appreaciate any tips. I am kinda nervous out losing fish due to the fact that the tank was not cycled. And all the first are showing no signs of ich now. My ammonia levels are decreasing with the more frequent water changes, but where as high as 0.25. I have been using an ammonia detoxifer, but I need suggestions here, should I continue with the hypo and maybe turn up the water changes to get the ammonia to 0.00 or return the fish to the DT, and risk them having another outbreak.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I know you have to do that for three to four weeks. Pickup man just recently did that so you can pm him.

Its a hobby AND a way of life.

4. fhabercrombie

Yeah I was thinking 4 weeks of no signs of ich, then 2 of raising SG slowly.

5. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

If your fish have ich, shouldn't you leave the fish alone if there eating? Fish can fight off ich on there own. Your fish tank will always have ich, regardless. Ich is like the common cold so to speak.

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Personally for me, My fish do worse in a QT tank for a treatment then Eating and running around fine in the DT. Generally Cause a QT for me is like 1/6th the size of the DT and my fish are well Big.

But to each is their own! Good luck with the current residents and the achilles!

7. fhabercrombie

Its a tough call, I wanna be ICH free in the DT, but it is a huge amount of work using an uncycled tank, and it seems like it could do more damage than good.

8. Click Here!

9. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

how did the ich treatment go? updates?

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Wait, you returned a couple of fish back to the DT without treatment? Your DT needs to be fallow for about 6 weeks.

Ich is the number one cause of fish loss in the industry. For every fish that lives through it in the DT without treatment, there are 10 others that die as a result of not being treated. You HAVE to remove the stressor to increase your odds of them surviving without treatment. If the stressor is still there while they are trying the combat the parasite, their immunity will remain low and they will be less likely to overcome it. Hopeful the stressor of adding a new fish will be "worked out" amongst the community before the Ich really takes hold.

Fish die in QT for a number of reason: the disease is to advanced, the QT itself in inappropriate for the fish, we handle the daily rituals that co with a QT incorrectly. It really is a super safe environment if done correctly.

I killed a fish in QT one time.... you really can't blink before things can go wrong. My 14 year old dog died on my kitchen floor and I had been up 24 hours and still had to go to work that night for a 12 hours shift. The QT was neglected that day and a half and I lost a 600 dollar fish. Crazy and stupid, but a lesson learned.

11. fhabercrombie

My QT wasnt cycled, when I set it up, and it was going through an ammonia spike. It was cramped and to small for my fish at the time (44 gallon pentagon tank). I ended up trading in some fish to get the # down, and I had just got my RODI unit and with work I wasnt able to keep up with the water changes. So I returned the fish to the DT until I could let the tank cycle. Immediately it seemed to put the fish at ease. I have been keeping them fed, and soaking their food in selcon. I know it wasnt ideal, but I had to weigh my options of losing my achillies from an ammonia spike or let him swim the entire ICH infested tank. Its been almost 2-3 weeks now that he is back in the DT and he is eating well, and alot less stressful. Orginally when he returned he had an outbreak pretty bad, but they are becoming less frequent. The QT is still up and running and cycling so once cycled I will have options to fight the ich. I really need to look at a larger QT.

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Dude too many fish??? I'm pretty sure you're overstocked but anyway to the main point: I had done hypo with an uncycled tank but I used this thing called Dr. Tim's one and only that already creates a bacteria colony and it's actually one of the few things that actually works. I had done it without a cycled tank so I'll just give you this big tip: as long as you do water changes daily and watch your ammonia levels, you should be fine. and to avoid this form happening again, quarantine your fish for about 1 week before introducing, and the sucky part is that you're gonna have to wait like 4-8 weeks before you add anything back to the main tank.