Ich on Tomini tang

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by nightster, Mar 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Ok so I purchased the tomini tang from my lfs today, and to my dismay I found out it has ich. I know I shoulda qt'd it but I didn't realize the problem until it was under sufficient lighting. I guess the mistake was made when purchasing the fish, I was I a hurry and didn't take my time due to other reasons. Lesson learned... currently the fish is hiding in some of the rock work. My other fish don't seem to mind it much, so I'm sure its not getting picked on. Just curious what my next step should be. Should I give it a couple of days to feel more secure in the tank before preceding?

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

if its eating then your in luck, try moving it to your QT, soaking food in garlic, and letting him heal. i would get him out as soon as possible though. i think half of the parasites life is spent on your fish. the other half is in tiny "sacs" in your tank that you cant see. good luck

4. nightster

Well unfortunately I woke up this morning and it was dead. I'm curious what the lfs will say when I call them. I know its kinda my fault for not realizing the problem before I bought the fish, but at the same time I'm some what frustrated at the store. Now I just hope my other fish don't get ich.

5. nightster

Just called them and they basically told me to kick rocks. So I will no longer purchase fish from that store...

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Bummer, ich and tangs go hand in hand unfortunately. I have had better luck with yellow tangs. Good for you for standing up to the LFS, they should have a policy regarding fish dying within a reasonable amount of time, especially if you have done business there before. If you did not speak with the owner or manger you may want to go that route.

So what type of fish are you going to try next?

1 person likes this.
  7. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Sorry to hear about your loss!!!

Hopefully this is a lesson learned on multiple levels:

A: NEVER RUSH (Remember 3reef motto: Go Slow and Let it Grow!)
    B: Either carefully observe your specimen in the store for a week or so (or use quarantine tanks)
    C: Check out your LFS bigtime before committing to a purchase such as this.

It's a shame the LFS will not honor the purchase as most LFS will offer some livestock garantee.

Like you said - you at least know not to got back to that LFS again . . .

Hope your other fish are ok!!!

8. Click Here!

9. nightster

Idk what kind of fish I'm going to get next. I kinda wanted a tomini tang but idk if I'm going to try again. Yes lesson definitely learned...

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Whichever it is, if you decide to purchase from another LFS - and after you have determined they have presented a business worthy of your hard earned dollar - may I suggest putting items on hold?

A good LFS will allow you to put livestock on hold. In this manner, we have purchased all three of our fish and due to being able to observe them for at least a week (usually 2) you can ensure it is healthy (eating, swimming, pooping) before it goes into your tank.

If the LFS does not let you reserve fish even if you offer a down payment, time to find another LFS IMHO.

If you plan on ordering online for fish - i would suggest a QT to be safe.

Best of luck!

A tomini tang was our first fish in our 120DT - he is happy and eating like mad ever since he got in his new home. Again - we were able to observe him in the LFS for two weeks and had him on hold for a week before taking him home. We knew he was eating flake food and we knew he did not have a large active ich infection.

1 person likes this.