Ich medication best????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jakanala01, Dec 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakanala01

jakanala01 Astrea Snail

What is the best ich medication that can be added to the showtank and that will not have negative effects on soft corals/inverts in a tank? I've seen several advertised by never used any?

I DO NOT have ich or any problems in my tank. Just asking as I do have tangs and would keep on hand as backup insurance.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

there isnt one that I am aware of- sorry

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

1 person likes this.
  5. ReefRaider

ReefRaider Astrea Snail

There isn't one that's 100% reef safe, but there are some that do t kill any in the tank. When I use Ich-X, it sometimes kills unhardy corals and a couple of my cleaner crew, but it cures the Ich. Or you could invest in a UV sterilizer. They're expensive, but they kill free-floating algae and loose parasites(Ich) that are in the water. However, the UV sterilizer won't help a fish that already has Ich, as it only purifys the water.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ich X does not cure ich. Your fish developed some resistance to marine ich. Ich is still within your system and if you have a crash or stress out the tank you will see it again, this I can promise.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

if you have a fish only tank - then copper based meds used in the tank would be OK (Providing you dont think you will ever want corals etc)

if you do not have a problem with the tank now
    then set up a seperate tank for new additions, monitor them for a couple of weeks and treat with a copper based med at the 1st sign of parasites

if you dont have it in your tank now
    and you QT and treat any new additions

then IMO , you should not need a med that was reef safe

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Best way- pull all coral and inverts- including snails and crabs- esp. any star fish, place them in a holding tank with newly made - fresh - correct saltwater.

Then treat the the tank- there are numerous copper based treatments- it's the best way and the only way to be free of this evil parasite that I know of. But, I am not a marine biologist, nor a pharm. chemist- but I do know, presently, this is the only way available to us reefers.

That is the crux of the problem- reef a problem- no reef, no real problem- treatment is easy- why? inverts and the like. But why not prevent it before it happens- irradicate this crap before it has a chance to invade your reef.

How you might ask- QUARANTINE everything and dip your corals- all you need is a 10 gallon tank- really it's all you need- heck a 5 gallon bucket will work.

Be smart- do the right thing- quarantine.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You can't replace those inverts into the original tank afterwords, alpha. Copper will enter the rocks then leach out over time.

12. BananaBoat

BananaBoat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1. there is no cure for Ich disease that is reef safe. Let it pass, and learn from your mistakes. As stated above, you could remove your coral and inverts and try copper based medications, but you can't put them back in. From now on, I'd keep the fish you buy in a quarantine tank for a few weeks before you add them to the main tank.