ich....LETS GET THE FACTS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by mufassathelion, Mar 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

now people please do correct me if im wrong here.. there has been many interesting concepts with the way to deal with ich.... HOWEVER. in my opinion and honestly im dealing with it now... but to say ich can not survive in a salinity of 1.016 or lower is a misconception.... if thats the case, correct me if im wrong here, but freshwater and brakkish water tanks get ich also... I know from experience ive had it in a cichlid tank. gave it a med cured it right up.... But people please dont go and say do this cuz it wont survive if u really dont know what the hell your talking about.

3REEF has helped me in my journey to bring joy to me a saltwater aquarium. Granted there are alot of people on here that do know wht the hell thier talking about and well there are others i tend to wonder. Im not saying im a genious to this because i 2 am new to saltwater. however i had a thriving cichlid tank for 2 years strong and breed many cichlids.

I guess all i can say is do your own research and listen to people and the way they have delt with the situation. I myself..Well, some the remedies i have been told here on 3reef just aint working....So people please remember these posts are for people looking for advice if you go and start saying something you really dont know.... then keep your mouth shut.. thats what my mama always sed. BETTER TO B LEFT SILENT THEN LOOKING STUPID.
    In conclusion, I want to say THANKS TO ANY AND ALL and KUDOS to those that help here and those who have helped me along my journey. Granted i did not always hear what i wanted to, but the advice is great and thanks........MUFASSA

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

saltwater ich and freshwater ich are to different types of parisites.

4. mufassathelion

as i understand it ich is ich in either case both parasites that thrive in the water

5. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

yes buy that logic you are correct but that's like saying fish are fish they both thrive in water but not all saltwater fish can live in fresh and not all fresh water can live in saltwater.
    in the end though it falls down to how healthy the fish is to defend itself against ich.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

there are different types of ich that are adapted to survive in different environments much like fresh and salt fish.
    I believe there is even more variation then that, the reason some people have success with some reef safe treatments and some don't.

7. mufassathelion

i started this thread because there are alot of contradiction goin on here..one day my fish have the spots the next day there gone... 3 days later ich arrives. my fish dont stop eating(when i feed them that is) very energetic move around alot..... all in all they appear healthy.... but every 3 days or so i get white specs on the glass

and some fish can b acclimated to saltwater wich ones im not sure but i have been told some crabs can as well. so if some species can b freshwater/salt water y cant the parasites

8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I think we chat fresh water or saltwater. I have both have a 150 gallon freshwater and a 220 salt and the ick has been different in both and dealt with in each. lets pick a topick in fresh oor salt because theya are very different bugs. they are also handled very differently!

10. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

No. There are genetic variations of the parasite.

If your experiences contradict others opinions you should always go with your experiences.

I've read in many places that Ich can only survive for 6 weeks without a host and it cannot stay dormant for months. If it can't find a host it will die. There are many diseases that fish get from stress. Some are perhaps mistaken for Ich.

For example, 6 months after setting up my new tank i decided to rearrange the rock for some reason. Upto this point the fish were very healthy and fat, the corals were doing great too. Keep in mind that i have not done anything else to the tank in 4 months, like adding fish, rock corals etc. Only thing i did was water changes. Anyway after i rearranged the rock, the next day i noticed 3 of the fish had white spots that looked exactly like Ich. Im sure that me fooling with live rock had something to with that. I did almost a 40% water change that day. Next day all the spots were gone and i havent seen them since.

So i've concluded that Ich is very much like a common cold that we get. As long as the immune system is strong the fish will be able to fight it away. If the fish is not able to fight it, i would just get rid of the fish. If you keep getting the same problem. There might be something toxic in the tank.

Also i havent found a single scientific article that showed the effects and treatment of Ich in a series of controlled experiments.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  11. mufassathelion

ok lets get the microscopes out and debug the bugs. LMFAO. ok lets talk saltwater.. i have seen both and to the naked eye they lookk the same to me... white tiny lil spots on the fish.....

12. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I took these from an interesting article there are similar out there. Its a good read if your interested.
    Fresh and Saltwater Ich