ICH! Help!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Dador, Apr 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Well I've been quiet for a while now...feeling terrible about a beutiful Achilles I stupidly introduced to my Hex without quarentine.:mad: I've read all the ich posts. I' ve set up a 38 gallon QT/Hospital Tank.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php :-/

Weird thing is I have a Purple and yellow tang in the same tank with no signs of ich. :confused:

Should I starve the tank and pull everyone out to the Hospital?:confused:

Should I HYPO Saline with Cupramine (Seachem)? If so should charcoal come out of the Fluvol??

Should I just HYPO??

Please help.

2. Click Here!

3. Dador

Pic of Ich and Hospital Tank

Here are some pics.:-[

Attached Files:

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Dador, 3 tangs in a 60G tank is insane. Both your tanks I would say are way over stocked. I feel even if you were to rid the tangs of Ick, introducing them back into the 60G would just cause more ich do to stress. The minimum tank size for an Achilles is 100G and I think that is a little small.

I would really rethink your fish choices and perhaps return some to your LFS.

Sorry but that is my opinion
    Jason

5. Dador

Don't be sorry

Don't be sorry I need the help. Your 100% right. I have removed one of the anthias, coral beuty, flame angel and the achilles.

Everyone seems much happier and peaceful.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dador

Achilles Died

Achilles died.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Dador, Jason is right. You can probably get away with keeping one, but 3 is too much. The Achillies is a nice tang, requires a lot of space like the naso. Probably something like Jason's new 370g tank.

Be very careful with purchases like that because it's gonna cost you in the long run. Fish are expensive. :(

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Dador, QT your fish and treat with copper. Make sure you have a copper test kit. If you use cupramine then use seachems test kit. Leave your main tank without fish for 10-12 weeks and slowly raise the temp to 82-83F as this speeds up the life cycle of ich. Also, stir up the sand bed in the display tank from time to time while the tank is without fish. This will help keep the ich from going dormant. When you treat your fish with copper its best to add the copper at night with the lights off as only the free swimming stage of ich is affected by the copper. Ich usually is free swimming in the dark.
    Good luck and sorry for your loss. Karma for your Brown Tang!