Ich heat speed up?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Guy, Jan 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

Well, my sail fin has had Ich for about 2 months. I called my LFS and they recommended raising the temperature of the water, saying it speeds up the life cycle of Ich. I have noticed something, the cysts are going and leaving on a regular basis, and he's eating like theres no tomorrow (no pun intended). So I turned my heater up a little bit, and the water went from 76 to 79 degrees. That's not that big of a difference, so I left it. Well it must not have been done heating yet... I just checked for the first time in weeks, and the water was 85 degrees :O nothing has died. I'm wondering if it'd be okay to keep this temp as long as I don't add anything, and as long as nothing dies. I turned the heater dial down, and I guess we'll see how things turn out...

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

I'd leave it at least 80; IMO 85 is too high. Are u using hyposalinity? thats like the best way to get rid of ick unless the ick has developed too much on the tang

4. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

It's hard to explain. I cant tell if the tang is in late stages or not. The cysts will be on his fins one day, everywhere 2 days later, then not a speck a day after that. And that cycle repeats. He does eat about a 3x4 inch piece of garlic infused seaweed every day. And he'll eat it right down to the clip, along with any flakes or meats i put in the tank. No hospital tank, mine is only 10 gals. I have my corals in the tank, and they're still flourishing. The only real difference I see in the ecosystem is that the algae might be growing a bit faster. But I nearly had a stroke when I looked at the thermometer. :p

Edit: no hypo salinity either. Is that done by just raising salinity?

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

hypo is done by lowering the salinity to like 1.010. It's one of the best ways to get rid of ick but should only be done in a quarantine tank

6. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

That makes sense. So its like a half freshwater dip. Not even that.I guess I'll just try too keep him eating...

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

just get like a 30 gallon from petco, u no the $1/gallon sale, set it up with water from DT (no need for acclimation), get a HOB filter and a heater and just keep it there with salinity at 1.010 (slowly drop the salinity every day I think; seems less stressful), and still feed it with garlic to keep the immune system up

8. Click Here!

9. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

I dunno. I might, maybe. 29 bucks isn't bad for a 29. I'm thinking of getting a 55 tomorrow. (so excited!!!) even if it's not the kit, all I really need is a filter, stand, hood, and light. Along with sand and water. (No RO/DI unit. :( ) so moving water is a large hassle. Unless I go to publix, get 50 or so gallons of freshwater , and use reef crystals in it. :/ after that, everything should be a smooth ride. Not back to the subject, if it gets worse I can try hypo salinity. I have a 20 gal long tank in my shed. Not cycled... And can't use water from the DT considering id only have 9 gallons remaining. :(

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

then maybe use the 55 gallon temporarily as a QT? dude if you wanna get the tang off your hands you HAVE to do something already; feeding it garlic won't cure it. and publix? you must live in Florida; none of those here in NY

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

That tang is not going to get any better in that 29G...
    1 because he is in the tank where the infestation is and I'm sure you can't use copper or hyposalinity.
    2 because he is in a tank that is no way near what he needs so he is in constant stress, making the fight against the parasite even harder.
    And 3 because raising the temperature does nothing to speed the cycle of crypto. ( marine ich) this is true for fresh water ich but to my understanding it has little to no effect in crypto.

What I would suggest is taking that tang back to the lfs if he would take it. Normally I would suggest people to keep the fish and try to make it better but given that you have him in a 29G biocube I'm assuming an lfs would do a better or same job at this point. IMO.

Don't take my advice the wrong way, as I mean no harm for my comment :p
    Just my opinion on the issue.