Ich - final attempt

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by heffernan, Sep 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. heffernan

heffernan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well I have finally had enough with ICH!!!! Since I have had my reef tank ( last december) i have had ich outbreaks and then it would take a fish or two out and go away. I have lost 2 tangs , a clown, a sixline, a psuedochromis, a cleaner goby. Well my last outbreak my flame angel and clowns were covered. I finally broke down and got a quarantine tank and am currently treating my all my fish. Point of the story....
    Newbies ( like me) having trouble with ich, just go out and get an extra tank. The cost my seem a lil much but trust me you will save money in the long run. I am going to leave what fish i have left in the quarantine for 6 weeks and let the my display fallow in hopes the ich will die. Also i will be quarantining any new fish for at least a month. I have learned my lesson of hoping it will just go away. Hopefully this will be the last time i have to deal with it. Just thought i would share my thoughts

Happy Reefing

2. Click Here!

3. heffernan

anyone else come to the revelation and had success keeping ich out of their tanks?

4. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Yes, i have never had it in 3 years and finally got it 3 days ago. Drenched its food in Garlic Extreme (made by Kent Marine) and VUA-LA! Not a single spot on him now! Purple tang too! He is a $150 fish! :)

5. heffernan

do you quarantine fish before putting them into your display?

6. aquariaman

7. heffernan

hmm, must be lucky

8. Click Here!

9. aquariaman

lol. Yes, i have never had a single disease in the tank! I must be very lucky!!

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

aquariaman it was likely something other than ich, white spots are not a sufficient diagnosis. There are many possible causes of white spots. I've seen a lot of people loose a lot of fish trying to treat real ich with garlic. Also, as to garlic, GarlicFAQs

11. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I have given up on attempting to keep ich out of the tank.

Set up a brand new 220 probably around 6 months ago, I was determined to be ich free! quarantined all the tangs and treated for ich. Quarantined for a total of 4 months in a 70 gallon my Purple Tang still ended up with it once it made it in the tank.

I think quarantine is great to get the fish used to what they are eating, and treat for any signs of disease, I still do qt, but no longer in an attempt to eradicate ich

12. aquariaman

Well, whatever is was, its gone now so thats all that matters, right? ;D