Ich attack

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by sunset, Jan 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sunset

sunset Plankton

Hello, first post here, love the site!
    I have read all the threads I can find about those of you who have used Kordons Ich attack, and my only question is, about how long did you have to treat before you saw improvement? I have been treating my gramma for 8 days, with the temp at about 80-81°, and haven't really seen any improvement.
    Water parameters are all where they should be, he eats well, defends his little cave, pretty much behaves normally, so I am not overly concerned with his overall health. All the other fish in the tank are fine. I decided to treat the whole tank because the gramma got ich about a week and a half afer coming out of quarantine, so it was apparently in my tank, and I figured that removing him, and quarantining him again would do no good, as he would just get it again when I put him back in the tank. Letting the tank go fallow isn't really an option at this point, as I don't have the space or $$ to set up another tank right now.
    I think I've rambled enough, just in case my question got lost in all that, how long does it take for kordons Ich Attack to work? Thanks all!

2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

First of all welcome to the 3reef,
    Their have been many articals written bye many expert type people on this subject regarding marine ich.
    Here is a good artical I found on the subject.
    ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Marine "Ich"

But to answer your question , from 10-14 days for treatment (can be longer)

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I had a Tang a long time ago that got ICK and I went the route of a UV sterilizer, a coral banded shrimp and more water changes. Got rid of it without use of meds.... That Tang lived for about 3 years.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

welcome to the 3reef

That ich attack helped my problem, but it didnt cure it. It knocked the ich off the fish, but did not kill it. It also caused a serious algae bloom.

6. cuttingras

what was the wattage of your uv bulb Geek? Mine was 25 and I never noticed a big difference in algae...as you've heard I've always had it lol

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I didnt use a UV sterilizer. I solved my problems the natural way. Removed all fish and let the tank go fishless for several months. If ich doesnt have a host, it doesnt survive. Hosts=fish, shrimp, crabs

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>>>>

11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

12. sunset

sunset Plankton

The gramma won't let my cleaner shrimp anywhere near him, it's kind of frustrating. I don't really know what else to do, like I said, I'm not really able to set up a whole other tank to let the display go fallow, I'm considering just getting rid of the gramma at this point, because from what I've read, they are very prone to it, and none of my other fish are showing any signs of ich. I really don't want to get rid of him, but I am kind of at a loss here as to what to do. Hypo is not an option, I have lots of inverts, and a couple different kinds of polyps in there.

Aquariums are not as relaxing as some people seem to think.:-/