ich and the quarantine tank

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by dfwatson, Nov 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dfwatson

dfwatson Astrea Snail

OK Ive been reading up on ich and I guess I got a question. My main tank I have has been fishless for 3 week and I have 3 weeks to got to break the ICH cycle. I have read that you put your new fish in the quarantine tank for 2 to 4 weeks to observe for overall health, but I've also read that with alot of healthy fish ICH may live in the gills(where I can't see it). So if I observe the fish for 4 weeks and all looks well but the Ich is under the gill plate won't I be introducing ICH to my main tank all over again. Should I run meds in the quarantine even if all looks well??

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

That is certainly an option and copper is the most effective treatment for ich. My LFS uses copper in all of their fish only display tanks save for their reef and coral tanks. Be careful wwith the dosing.

4. dfwatson

dfwatson Astrea Snail

Could you tell me another (maybe better) option or am I missing something, maybe thinking too much. I just don't want the ich in my main tank again

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

dfwatson,

The chemical treatment for Ich IMHO is the only option to actually destroy the parasite. As Craig mentioned just be very careful and follow the directions and you wont have a problem again :)

John

6. dfwatson

dfwatson Astrea Snail

Sounds like a plan!! 1 more question please. Since I'm treating with copper is there any reason to use any kind of dip before the quarantine. Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I can't see any reason for using a dip beforehand, if fact it may do more harm than good by adding even more stress.

John

8. Click Here!

9. dfwatson

dfwatson Astrea Snail

10. Craig Manoukian

JohnO got you all taken care of! Good luck!

11. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Just throwing in my 2 cents about the freshwater dip.
    If you want more info about ICK and any other info about anything hobby related go to
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/index.html

and search their site using their google link. This site is very informative and has hekped me very much. I am also going through the ICK experience. My tank has been fallow for about a month and I am going to wait another month before introducing and fish in the display. I have treated my fish with Cupramine copper and freshwater dips. The dip thing is scary at first. You need to make sure that the temp is exactly the same. This is very important. Also raise the PH to match the quarantine tank. Dip for 5-10 minutes is what the wetweb people say. Johno may be right about this causing more stress than its worth but from what I have read this a good way to kick off your treatment.
    I just use a huge net and set it in a 10 gallon freshwater tank with the fish in it. The fish just stops moving and lays against the side of the net. My fish all recovered from their dips with in 5 minutes. Also I have bought lots of different types of foods for the fish. And treat their food with garlic extreme. The variety of food makes for a good diet. I am trying to make my fish as healthy as I can before putting them back in the display in January. That way they have a better chance of making it if there is still some ICK left looking for a host.
    I also bought a UV sterilizer. I guess I am doing everything possible to be successful at eradicating this parasite. Please let me know if I am missing anything JohnO. ;)

These are just things I thought to mention to help you beat this. I know how frustrating it is. ALWAYS QUARANTINE. Cant say it loud enough!

Jay

1 person likes this.
  12. Craig Manoukian

Good stuff Jay. I have never had ich in my tank in 2+ years.