Ich and prestine water

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DoorBoy, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

I bought a powder brown tang a few weeks ago.. He was at the LFS for 3 weeks and did not show any signs of ich..

once i moved him into my tank a week went by and i noticed several small white dots on him.. looks like small micro bubbles that would be found in say a skimmer.

My male clown about an inch in size also showed a more large white spot on him on his dorsal fin.. so i figured i would go talk to the LFS.. They swore by kordons ich attack so I purchased and followed his instructions "he said to dose 3 times the directed, dose once in the morning mid day and at night and raise temp to 83 and kill skimmer and remove charcol.. Im on day 7 of treatment and my clown has no parasites on him.. my tang still looks about the same and the ich has never moved.. I noticed a few white spots on his eyes to which is bringing on a concern.

I have reviewed many topics about kordon and ich attack during the last 7 days that i have been treating.. some people love the stuff and others say it did not do a darn thing, but say that just waiting it out and not stressing the fish anymore while feeding garlic and healthy greens with prestine water works. My concern is im gonna continue to treat with kordons since it has not been affecting any of my corals.. but should i continue to run without the skimmer cause its killing my water quality.. Any advice from people who have been through situations similar would be great.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, it will probably be one or the other. The reason with a lot of the skimmer/filter rules is that they will actually remove the medication. But, if your water quality is suffering, then thats not going to help the ich either.
    I am a believer in proper diet and water conditions myself. Ich is like the fish version of the common cold or influenza. It is always present, but only when something becomes stressed does it become a danger.

1 person likes this.
  4. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

I just read in another post that all the Kordons is, is a souped up vitimin k supplement. On their site it also says that it doesnt affect ph.. but my ph i have been testing daily and watching it go from 8.4 to 8.1 and thats when i start buffering it back up..

based off that, thats probably stressing my fish as well... would it be best to just cut the vitimin k from the ich attack and just go with prestine water and hope the fish can ride it out? Has anyone else had fish get ich on their eyes? Thats what is mainly bugging me.. cause if its not ich i gotta figure out what it may be.. Ive been feeding seaweed w/ garlic and was going to go get some broccoli tomorrow.. please help!

5. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

id try lowering the salt down to 1.016 for a couple weeks. ich cant survive in it and it will not hurt the fish.