Ich and Hippo Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by techno2, Jan 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Ok,
    So I added a Hippo tang, QT for a week or two. Looked real good.
    Since I added to the main tank, she has had spots a few times but they have gone away. Today they look worse than before.

I have read that the Tangs are Susceptible to Ich more than most, my question is, does anyone treat Tangs any differently ? Is this just par for the corse with tangs ?

Water params are perfect, I am looking to add stress coat Marine to help out. Anything else I can be doing ?

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

feed garlic maybe add selcon to food to boost immune system. Try not to stress fish. Check all water parameters. Make sure tang is eating well and if spots get worse after a week or so then maybe consider treating with copper med. in seprate tank or start treatment now with non copper med. Just be cautious about doseing whole tank. I have had no too good luck with this but this is some of the info I got.

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Thanks, feeding garlic and vit c, no flashing, feeds very well, as I said spots have come and gone which was not what I was expecting.

I am only feeding once a day, do tangs require twice a day ?

5. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

i feed mine once a day and hang some seaweed and all of them aredoing great.

6. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

i have had a blue tang that was near blue and white with all the spots covering it when i first got it, didn't panic and didn't treat it at all, left it in my display tank.. fed it brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, veggie flakes, ocean nutrition formula 2(contains garlic) and it is doing amazing after a whole month of fighting ich, it's been good for the past 2 months.. knock on wood.. don't panic and stress it out by removing it and putting in another tank.. in my honest opinion, i rather a fish stress and move on in the display than to put it into a 10G hospital tank and watch it stress out more..

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Good thanks, thats what I was shooting for. I hope at some point she will settle in. After three outbreaks in as many weeks, this is the worst.

All others are fine , I just know that I hear that the Tangs are easy to get it so I wanted to know what other Tang owners are doing.

Thanks all -

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Everyone pretty much summed it up. Removing it will cause more stress and IMO give it a worse shot than leaving it. If I were you I would have Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and Neon Gobies on staff with a Hippo Tang.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Raw Broccoli is VERY good as an immune booster with tangs ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Interesting, I shall try that.

Cheers

12. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

neon gobies and tangs go together like pp&j. ill never keep tangs with out them and, i always have more than one N/gobie. good luck with the ick. i hope the best for ya.

1 person likes this.