Ich and Fresh Water Dip

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DoorBoy, Feb 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

Okay, so i just caught my tang.. had to tear apart all my 100 lbs of rock to catch him.. had a 5 gallon bucket ready.. temp was pretty close to main tank @ 82 when main tank was raised to 83.... i raised ph to what it was in main tank which was a lil low but at 7.9.. I forgot the chlorine remover hope that wasnt a big mess up

i moved tang in for 6 minutes and he was looking good for awhile then just stopped swimming @ 6 mins so i rushed him into a 3 gallon bucket of water taken from main tank because he still had some ich on him.. then i waited for about 15 minutes while he was in the salt water bucket.. and moved him back into the 5 gallon fresh for another 7 minutes..

I then pulled him and his spots around his body had disipeared but he still showed a few ich spots on his head.. dunno if these are scars or not

I dont have a qt tank but i moved him back into the main tank, and shut off lights. By the time i was done i checked the temp in main tank .. which i had already started aquascaping again and checked temp in bucket.. it was 2 degress difference.. but the tang looks from under moonar lights like he is still active and is in corner swimming around..

Should i be worried about him making it through the night from being stressed or just leave him be?

2. Click Here!

3. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

just shined a flash light on him and he appears to still have a few spots around his arm fins.. and his nose and top of head..body looks to be much better..

earlier today he was so bad it looked like he was caught in a snow storm.

I just got another cleaner shrimp today which is a pretty good size since my other one never came back from molting.. im hoping he helps with the ich as well..

any input would be great.

Thanks

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what type of tang is it and how long did you have it? How is the water parems? How big is your tank and how long has it been up

IMHO you just stressed him more. Was he eating at all? Tangs are prone to ick and often times stress and water parameters can cause them to break out wth it.

My first fish was a baby blue hippo tang. It of course developed ick the first night I had it. I was told to do a FW dip on him. It stressed him out for me to catch it, then I shocked it by doing the dip and then added stress by returning it to the DT. It did not cure the ick all the way and in a few more days he got ick worse.

If the fish is eating well, most of the time it will be able to get rid of it. Treatments are rough on the fish, so best to avoid them at all costs.

Make sure you are feeding it good quality food with HUFA's (like selcon) added to it. You can add garlic to the food to make it more appealing to the fish. Garlic will not cure ick, but it helps to encourage the fish to eat. Also put some nori, seaweed, romaine lettuce, brocolli etc in the tank for it to nibble on each day.

Cleaner shrimp will help the ick...if nothing else will USUALLY make the fish feel better.

It will probably do ok...tangs play possom when they are stressed. Miine would drop on the sand bed and lie flat like he died! Many fish do this....

I would not do anything else other then make sure it is eating.

Good luck

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

get a couple cleaner goby's they work wonders, don't do any more freshwater dip's IMO for a few day's, he will be very stressed. Feed him food enriched with garlic, it is proven to boost the fishes immune system thus helping his body fight off the infection.

6. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

well ive been feeding ocean nutrition seaweed select w/ garlic and vitamin c added, also been feeding brine shrimp soaked in vitamin c.. i tried the broccoli and he wouldnt touch the stuff. i was using kordons ich attack and stopped because it didnt seem to be doing much and turned my skimmer back on.. since that move he appeared today to be covered in ich head to tail. So i started the dosing again mid day and went and bought another cleaner shrimp.. thats when i decided to at least get him a fresh water dip.. he was hovering around the cleaner shrimp trying to get cleaned which is a positve.. and yes he was eating..

its a powder brown tang.. and in a 70 gallon tank with tons of hiding spots.. he has been blotchy in color since i did the dip.. hopefully he will make it though and yes i was dreading the dip.. just didnt want him to take more of a nose dive..

7. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

also ... with my return pump there is a foam filter that covers the head of it.. should i remove that if im dosing with kordons ich attack? it says remove charcol and the skimmer .. what about that foam?

8. Click Here!

9. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

I am no expert, but isnt 82 degrees really high? I think the tang will be okay. I just am wondering about the temp.

10. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Well if u have ich ive been told having 80-83 temp help removes it

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

yeap, that is correct. A higher temp will actually speed up the life cycle of the organism, or so i've been told.

12. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

anyone know about foam filter?