IceProbe Chiller Mod

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here is a little 'how to' on installing an IceProbe Chiller on a TetraTec filter.

[​IMG]

What you will need:

• A hacksaw
    • A giant thick rubber o-ring with a 1.25" diameter hole. (Don't have one? Use a toilet plunger! That's what I did! hehe.  ;D
    • A ton of patience

Step 1 - Cutting the top off the flow control cap.

I made the cut about a quarter inch up from the o-ring this is on the outside of the cap. This left enough room for the new o-ring to fit snug inside.

Here is a pic with an arrow pointing to the cap I am

talking about:

[​IMG]

Step 2 - Cutting the new o-ring to size.

This took effort on my part since I started with a toilet plunger!  :D

I cut a few different sized ones to see which fit the best and then used a 1.25" carbide grit hole saw and made a hole through it. This was really dangerous as the saw flew around until it bit and nearly got my fingers that were holding the rubber. I WORE WORK GLOVES FOR PROTECTION.

THen it took time to make the hole as the rubber bound a lot.

*This is a great way to make a mess and make your house smell like burning rubber!!  :eek: ::)

Check it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 3 - Putting the o-ring and cap on the IceProbe.

This is where I spent a heck of a lot of time. The o-ring I made was very snug, especially when I put the cap around it. It took a lot of effort and trial and error to get it on the probe and down on the threads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 4 - Installing the IceProbe on the filter.

This was also tricky as you have to make sure it's on the filter right or it will suck in air.

I tried it with the cover on the filter first, then quickly realized it was hard to make sure it was on and I couldn't get inside the filter anymore once it was on.

So I decided to leave the cover off and make a new one. I used a black mousepad that has plastic on one side.

Check it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it was on and the filter was working right, I plugged in the chiller and began adjusting the controller.

I could be crazy, but in the time it took my to write this, the temp has gone done a bit already!

IT WORKS!!

[smiley=smoking.gif] [smiley=smoking.gif] [smiley=smoking.gif] [smiley=smoking.gif] [smiley=smoking.gif] [smiley=smokin.gif] [smiley=smoke.gif] 8)

Well I hope this helps somebody. It took hours and wasn't that easy, but I think it was worth it. In a few days I'll post a review of the chiller on the Product Reviews Board.

Time to crack a beer and stare at it!

;) :) 8)

matt

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Matt the DIY guy ;D looks good
    Now show us the tank!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ok, I uploaded some more pics, check out the homepage.

edit: added link to pics, going back to staring at the chiller.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Due to the OVERWHELMING RESPONSE! (Hi Nugio!) :D

here is an update,

chiller dialed in to go on at 77 degrees. came home today, typically it's 82-85, today, around 78 or 79!

COOL.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Awesome job Matt, you da DIY guru!

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Good thing it works or you would be very pissed off right about now.

Good job Matt.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Hey I saw your Kaik drip tubing there..how is that working for ya?

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Sitenews;num=1079918495;start=0#5 date=03/24/04 at 17:31:30]Good thing it works or you would be very pissed off right about now.[/quote]

Ain't that the truth! [smiley=biglaugh.gif]

THANKS GUYS.

Tank temp is really stable now. Controller works like a charm. Curious to see how it handles the next heat wave.

[sub](Naut- I.V. works fine other than the kalk prob, but I will have that fixed this weekend and post a pic of what I come up with.)[/sub]