I won the battle

Discussion in 'Algae' started by acenia, Apr 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

Hey everyone, I finally won the battle against hair algae.
    Its been over a year that i had it tried everything from toothbrush to sea hare and it had always came back. All my params were fine but my PH was low at 7.9-8.0 so two weeks ago i tried the ph buffer for four days straight. My snail went crazy and started to clean it all off. The good thing is its not coming back and even my zo's that after almost two month of being closed opened. So all i have left is a couple of patches probably to long for snail to clean but i will pull it off once its long enough.
    I'm just so happy had to share ;D

2. Click Here!

3. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Congrat! Thanks for sharing too. Now I can one more thing to my list "rid hair algae" list and hopefully will take them out when the time comes. :)
    Good job!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Very good point about pH acenia, I've noticed the same thing after Gresham pointed it out.
    What buffer did you use? I used Seachems and I am impressed ... 2 doses have held for over 2 weeks now.

Congrats!

5. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

it is seachem i use and its been a week and a half. Yesterday i did a 20% water change and my ph dropped to 8.0 so i have to had more.

6. trizzot

trizzot Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So if you raise the ph it helps battle back the Hair algae? If thats the case, instead of blowing money on buffer, why not just use baking soda? I use baking soda to augment when my ph needs a little boost. Wouldnt it do the same thing?

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Adding baking soda will raise the alkalinity also. You should know what both of them are before adding ;)
    1 teaspoon of baking soda will raise the alkalinity of 50 gallons of saltwater by about 0.4 meq/L which is about 1 dKH.

Jim

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I too won the battle some months back. Glad to hear your tank is recovering.