I was told to add all of this to my tank

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JupiterSailfish, Oct 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You should be adding Stronium if you don't do water changes.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think those blocks contain some strontium as well as other trace elements?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Heck your a woman so your always wrong......:p Hope you are feeling better today.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: I'll remember you said that buster. And I feel fine now that I'm back home :D

6. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

You are, of course, right! The coral builder blocks contain strontium.

Gin

7. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

I am posting this here because I think it is pertinent and JupiterSailfish is a good friend that likes me to hijack his threads. ;D

I am confused. I do water changes about once every 6 weeks, I dose with Purple up, additional Calcium, Kent essential Elements, Iodine and Kent Super buffer when needed. I am about to start using Magnesium as well.

What I do not understand is - based on the responses in this thread, I should not need to be doing all this.

I don't get it? :dizzy:

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't see anything in your signature that requires all that dosing. Also dosing iodine can be a big problem as it can be overdosed and can also cause algae blooms. If you're doing regular water changes, you shouldn't have to add anything at all. What you may not know is that both Purple Up and Essential Elements contain iodine so if you keep adding them as well as dosing straight iodine, you're taking a huge risk. You MAY have to add calcium, magnesium and buffer but unless you're testing for it, there's no way of knowing whether or not you need it. If you keep adding these elements without testing for them, you're heading for problems.

10. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

After reading this I am going to Post a new thread using this as a starting point.

11. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

Well I haven't been dosing anything since I posted this thread per LFS orders. I bought some Strontium, but I need to get a test kit before I start adding. It's just a pain trying to find all the test kits I need from API. I have a Red Sea Calcium test that I can't figure out.

12. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

Bring over about 8oz of your water and a bottle of Stoli and I'll test 'er up for you.
    + some Karma.
    + your girlfriend:devil2::jester: