I was told to add all of this to my tank

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JupiterSailfish, Oct 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

tangsters post just dissappeared lol

2. Click Here!

3. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

How are you getting water up from so deep?

4. plandy

plandy Astrea Snail

I know little about chemistry and additives even after having used just about most of them. IMO, at this point I am thinking, for myself, the best route to take is a small daily water change somewhere in the 1 to 2 percent. This routine should eliminate on most additives. And what's left (whatever that may be) should be easier to manage.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Nope I just removed them . :cheesy:

6. JupiterSailfish

I went to the store and they didn't have the Reef Solutions tube I saw at another store, but they told me this is basically the same thing. It is a small block and I'm supposed to set it in my sump and it will dissolve as needed. Should I put it in?

[​IMG]

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I get it from my LFS( Exotic Aquariums) which gets it from a guy, who goes out on his boat. How-where-when and why are questions that I cant answer, but I can give you his number and you can ask him.;)

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I've seen those blocks but never bought/used it. If you cant find Reef Solutions, try Exotic Aquariums on Bird RD and 74 ave and ask for Javier. Tell him that Tony(orange shirt guy) sent you, he'll treat you good. Luna

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I was about to say that Tangster can address this perhaps the best, but I see now that he responded, and then removed his post. I'm working mad hours, so I don't know what he said, but I'll chime in and say this. If your calcium tests report X ppm of calcium, then that's already bioavailable, or to put it another way, "broken down for the corals to consume." I think the LFS advice is more to his benefit, than yours. (Cha Ching?)

On the other side of that coin, strontium is beneficial to coral growth, but so so is molybdenum, added judiciously.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

I think the best you can do is simply listen to those with the most experience, who have nothing to gain from giving advice other than personal satisfaction. That would narrow it down to Tangster, Geek, ReefGuru, Otty, and maybe a few others.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes. I used to use those before I kept alot of sps corals and they did a great job keeping calcium levels steady.

12. JupiterSailfish

I just dropped those cubes in and they started bubbling like crazy for 30 seconds and now they don't. I guess something is happening;D