I was told to add all of this to my tank

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JupiterSailfish, Oct 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

I brought my water into a LFS to test, which I do every once in awhile since it is free and I like to be sure I'm right.

He said my Alkalinity was up and I have been adding SeaChem Alk three cap fulls twice a week along with SeaChem Calcium, three cap fulls twice a week. The guy said that I don't have anything to break down the Calcium for the corals so I need to add Stronium. Also Iodine, other mixed trace elements that he suggested, Phosguard, and Coral Vite.

I don't know anything about these so I was looking for your suggestions. I hate adding to my tank, but if it is necessary then I want the best for my animals.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

do you do water changes? do you mix your own salt water? if you answered yes to both of these you don't need to dose anything

edit: this is assuming you use a commerical saltmix and not something you made your self
    alk maybe the only thing you need to dose, but i kinda doubt you need to do even that. usually dosing is something people who don't do water changes or have a huge number of corals have to worry about

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  4. JupiterSailfish

I've done one water change, like five gallons. Yea, I guess I should so then I get all those elements. I get my water from the ocean.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Depending on the amount of corals you have and which kinds, determines what you need to add. I think that hes trying to sell you all that stuff. I only add Mag, Cal and DKH to my tank. I also add Reef Solutions(RS) for trace elements and thats it. You dont need to add Iodine or Stronium, like I said, hes just trying to sell you stuff. The RS has everything you need. Luna

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

do you take you water from the beach or open waters(in a boat)? i would advise against taking it from the beach because there maybe pollution in it. JMO

7. JupiterSailfish

This one guy I trust at another LFS (He said he has a degree in Marine Biology so I figure he has an idea) said that Mangroves take out a lot of Magnesium and I know you have some Mangroves, what else do they do?

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

prolly use alot of iron also

10. JupiterSailfish

I live on an inlet so I just walk down and grab it, so I guess that would be the beach then. I have been thinking about going out in my boat and grabbing some water from the Gulfstream. Probably could get some Plankton in that water that the fish would enjoy. The water in the Stream is so dang hot though.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

This is true, Mangroves consume Mag. They also consume No3 and Po4, but it takes alot of them to see any change in your water. I read somewhere that you need to have one Mangrove for every 2 gals, which in my case, would mean I need to have like 70-85 Mangroves. Im about to remove them all b/c they're not doing anything for me. Luna

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I also get my water from the ocean, but you need to get it a couple of miles out and at least 60' down. Luna