I want to switch to LED but know nothing about them

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Greg9MM, Nov 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I have a 150 high with mostly soft corals. Leather, frogspawn, hammers, ton of mushrooms and some zoas.

I am going to be moving in a year or so and going to a much bigger system so I dont want to spend a ton of money on a new lighting system but I def need new lights on my tank soon.

Any input or experience that anyone can share will be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

What will be the dimensions of the new tank?
    What corals do you want to keep?
    Are you willing to make a DIY led fixture?

4. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I dont know what the dimensions of the new tank will be. I am buying a new house so the size will be determined by the room I have to set it up. I am hoping to get in the area of 400 gal display. Thats why i am not looking to spend to much money now.

And I am not a fan of anything real hard to keep anyway. I love frogspawn and hammers and torches. And some leathers and zoas.

I am not good with DIY stuff lol but if its really easy i would try

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Ok so DIY is kinda out of the question unless you want to solder/connect a few hundred leds lol
    Razors, Kessil a350/w, Radions, AI Vega, etc. You could also use Solatubes (Sunlight) w/ Supplemental LEDs.
    If you are willing to do a DIY I recommend "Evil Clusters" basically you have a monstrous Bridgelux NW led with some smaller cree or Luxeon ES leds around it.

6. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I only understood a small handfull of the words in ur post and none when put into a sentence. lmao Looks like i am in trouble.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Whats your tank dimensions?

Whats your budget?

Lets start there and decide where to go;)

8. Click Here!

9. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

he kind of already said not sure the tank size, but not to be rude, if you donno you tank size, it really not going to be able to give you any advice on what to get even if everyone wanna help

10. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

OYF I didn't "kind of" say anything. Read the whole post and u will know whats going on. I know my tanks size and dimensions.

The tank is 48x24x32 high

Cosmo i dont really have a budget but would like to go on the cheap side since in a year or so i will more than likely have to buy a new light anyway.

11. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

reefbreeders

i would say 3 preferably 4 of these fixtures over a 6foot long tank would be great! cheapest way you are going to do it, and will be able to keep any coral you want.

12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

32 inches tall? Wow, get some big spotlights like Kessil a350's for something like that.