i want to add corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by tangov559, Apr 28, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tangov559

tangov559 Astrea Snail

My tank is a 55 fowlr right now. I am planning to add corals. What do i need? Like calcium and stuff. what tests do i need to buy. I have a regular test kit for all the basics such as nit, amm, ph .

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

You will need calcium for sure... i also use phosphate, and im planning on buying an iodine test too.. Theres more out there that the good people here on 3reef will give you advice on. But test kits are one thing, what kind off lighting do you have on your tank?

Marc.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

As intimated above, do not add or supplement anything without testing first. Lighting and livestock are majr determinants to coral additions. What type of biotope are you trying to recreate?

Calcium, Magnesium, Ph, Alkalinity, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates are important tests. LaMottes are very accurate test kits, and I recommend those. Iodine is difficult to test for accurately.

Please let us know and we'll guide you from there.

5. tangov559

tangov559 Astrea Snail

Well, i guess i need calcium and iodine. my lite is a pc lighting 65 x 4 and a twin shop light with 2 x 65 lighting. so its about 300 plus watts. im planning on a variety from soft to sps if i can.

6. Craig Manoukian

Your lighting should be fine for mushrooms and polyps. SPS corals require greater intensity and MH lighting would be required. 6500K MH lights are what a good number of successful SPS folks use.

If you have any angel fish, they can be notorious nippers of coral polyps/flesh. What is your livestock list?

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well i agree with that idea of lighting and sps but...there r always exceptions like my tank :) i have 4x65w pc and i have 4 acros and some montis and they r doing super infact i bought the acros brown and one is already about 90% green, the others have some hints of green but its getting there. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

What kelvin rating are your PCs Bruce? TIA