I want these!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by cuttingras, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

the amout it would cost you to replace that many pc bulbs , you could by a new t5 setup every year. well maybe not quite but close.lol

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

wait your not buying them for 500 dollars are you? becuase thats some serious cash for pcs for that price you could get two halides and a used chiller. or a really nice t5 system check ebay its hella powerful lol.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

Its actually a pretty simple concept...Forget what colors of the spectrum get absorbed at X depth and all that crazy physics because for the most part it doesnt really effect out tanks because they are so shallow in comparison to ocean...Not to mention that it just over complicates things that have no real relevance to the over all health of our corals and light dependent animals that we keep in our closed systems.
    If you dumb it down and just look at the shape of a PC bulb then look at the shape of a T5 lamps.... Notice the PC lamp is just two lamps folded in half where a T5 is like a skinny T8 or T12. Because the PC lamp is shaped the way it is that makes it very difficult to design a reflector that will efficiently direct the light down into the tank. For that reason alone a lot of light is wasted since we can point source a PC lamp as efficiently as we can a T5 lamp. So a PC lamp that puts out an equivalent wattage as a T5 lamp wont get the same PAR as a T5 because the shape of the lamp lessens the reflective ability of the lamp.
    As far as metal halides... They basically put out a very direct point source of light. In all actuality metal halides and fluorescent lamps actually might put out an equal amount of heat but with a fluorescent lamp the heat is distributed along the entire surface of the lamp but a metal halide (HQI predominantly) has a very direct point source where that heat is being distibuted. Think of it like the little kid sitting with a magnifying glass burning the ants as they come out of the hole. :) anyway...since metal halides put out that direct point source of heat and light it makes them much more efficient as far as being able to reflect that light down into our tanks where we want it.

5. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

Linda, I would love to donate to your new bulbs, But I have some of my own on oder and am broke! LOL

6. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

We have lived in this condo for about 4 months now. I started with a coralife PC 2x94 50/50. Then I got a nova extreme 4x54 t5, and now a nova extreme pro 6x54 t5. Luckily we never see the utilities because they're all included in the rent. So between the water bill and the energy bill + gas stove we must be severely screwing our landlord. So far as heat from the T5, it's up there. Nothing compared to MH, I don't even notice a change in the water temp if I keep the a/c pumping... but they get right toasty. The PC's, which are on the FW aren't nearly as bright.

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

pretty close!;) and T5's cost $$ too so, it's a catch 22 all the way around.

No not buying them, just said I wanted them :lol: Would love halides, but hubby won't fork over the $$ for the elec. bill. Nor for the lights. A chiller that opens a whole nother can of beans with him.:-/

That Guy, Very good on the dumb it up, I understood what you meant!!!;D

Aww thanks 1st time, but I was j/k! :)

Boredm-then go for the MH's :lol: Your landlord would be like Hey, why did your electric bill jump so high?

8. Click Here!

9. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Cuttingras,

Have you been to the ginormous aquarium over in atlanta???

I've seen vids and wanna gooo soooo baaaadddd!

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Its not a 72" light fixture....
    but I am going to be ruthless here anyway!
    I am selling a Marineland T5 48 Deluxe Strip light fixture that I bought in Nov. It is 216 watts, has 2 54w Daytime and 2 Acentic bulbs for $125 plus shipping:eek:

But from what I heard you dont want to get PC lights...you will go broke replacing them!

I had 2 of these marineland fixtures on my 75g and gave 1 set to my parents when they took my old tank and had them replace out the bulbs and honestly it was not that bad to replace. One set I had replaced out the bulbs in Feb....just cant remember which set?

I am still using this fixture on half my 135g tank and it really is a good fixture, because THEY STILL HAVE NOT GOT IN MY 2nd LIGHT FIXTURE..September will be 2 months now.:furious3::shout:.:bomb:.at this rate they will be paying me to take it! Actually it is in, they just need to come out and hang it (uh huh..I believe that!):loco:

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Two hallides w/bulbs and a chiller that is worth a damn is gonna set you back more that 5 bills. The t5's are a different story though......

12. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

heck yeah I have....check it out....DO THE behind the scenes tour and go by yourself! You can go and see and sit wherever you want. Now is a good time, but I hear go after lunch, most of the schools are gone by then,

http://www.3reef.com/forums/bucket/my-trip-atlanta-aquarium-48454.html