I want these!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by cuttingras, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

with that chunk of money you could get a decent used set-up of either MH or T5's, i didnt know you ran pc's how many whatts?

4. cuttingras

4x96 and I don't the heat & energy usage of MH's and T5's are way more for a 72" tank!:-/

5. {Nano}Reefer

oh ya i can understand that issue, ive heard that T5's are supposed to be pretty good with keeping the utility bill under control. maybe not though

6. cuttingras

actually pc's give off more heat than T5's and are supposed to be more efficient...not sure how that one works......:confused: usually more heat is from generating more electricity.....

7. {Nano}Reefer

thats a bit strange to hear..... your right, should be vise versa, wonder if its the different type of gas used inside??

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

Ya know, I don't know the exact reason behind it. I will research and come back with an answer tomorrow, right now I gotta go to bed. Peace out y'all!:kiss:

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

t5s and halides use the energy more efficently then other bulbs,for example regular incandesent bulbs waste upwards of 90% through heat. while metal halides convert 35% of the energy they take in to light so that means the other 65% is wasted as heat. now these are just numbers i picked up on the web, so they may or may not be right, im not a electrician. but i think the premise of why they are better is the same.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

also i think theres some difference in how the light penetrates the water but i wont even attempt to explain that

12. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

i have 3 150watt hqi's and the bill its hefty but the heat isn't a big deal it is the current sunpod i love it